Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11800182

'68 911S for sale . . .

VIN = 11800182
    Eng# = ?
    Trans# = ?

Ivory on black (I think)

. . . . The sale of this 1968 Porsche 911S project includes six months of marriage counseling to cover the length of its restoration. This is a joke, of course. The restoration will take much longer. Not that it matters with the recent barn-find 911S selling for just under $100,000 and fully restored examples regularly exceeding $125,000. Long-hood 911s of all stripes continue to explode in value with the rare short wheelbase and “S” models commanding some of the highest prices. This particular short wheelbase “S” retains its matching numbers engine and boasts an optional sunroof and desirable Light Ivory over Black color combination. Now for the bad news: the 911 was partially disassembled in preparation for a restoration that never took place and the dreaded tin worm has worked away at the rockers, front fenders and other spots on the Porsche’s frame. “Not unreasonable fixes,” one might say in the safe confines of a therapist’s office. But not exactly inexpensive, either. With the amount of work required to return this 911 S to original condition, the buyer will need to stay below a $70,000 purchase price to have a decent chance of emerging from the process with finances and family in tact. But what an absolutely fantastic car he or she will have when complete. Find the Porsche 911 S for sale here on eBay in Oakdale, NY . . .

On Sports Car Digest . . .

http://www.sportscardigest.com/cars-...porsche-911-s/

Also on eBay . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...333+&viewitem=

(Not mine)

PS Would this vehicle do better if it was in a barn? . . . or a field, maybe?

(Like --- in Nebraska?)

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

We take much better care of our cars here in Nebraska and that is why we get those premium prices!
    Park em in the winter, break out the 4 x 4 and wait for spring!

Looks pretty rough. It appears to have been a green, possibly conda green. It will be interesting to see how high it goes, but I bet it won't hit the reserve price. To many unknowns.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Curious what the forum thinks this car might be worth in this market fully restored.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    Curious what the forum thinks this car might be worth in this market fully restored.
    By whom..... Top Craftsman (fill in the name of favorite)
    To what extent.... Concurs
    Price @ High End Auction..... $120,000. to $150,000. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ing-to-Auction
    Cost of Restoration.... $150,000 to $175,000 with car. (based on actual quoted budgets on complete early car restorations)

Flawless restoration is expensive. While Ss are going up in value it is currently very difficult to create enough value out of a car missing as many original components.
    Last edited by Macroni; 05-11-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Thanks. So if the restoration costs equal or exceed the restored market high end auction value, then the first person restoring the car is likely to be upside down until or if the market values catch up. Or the unrestored project car is bought at the right price with the right parts in place. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    Thanks. So if the restoration costs equal or exceed the restored market high end auction value, then the first person restoring the car is likely to be upside down until or if the market values catch up. Or the unrestored project car is bought at the right price with the right parts in place. Got it.
    At least in my scenario.
    Last edited by Macroni; 05-12-2012 at 10:22 AM.

I saw that car at Hershey and spoke with the seller at length. The car was very rough, lots of rust. The asking price was $20,000. I told the seller the restoration cost would be $120-130 at least, I stand by that. Personally I would rather buy a finished car for that amount, and enjoy it the same day, not in three years time.

I think the collector car market is slowly realizing the real costs of a restoration, and that is driving the market upward.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    I think the collector car market is slowly realizing the real costs of a restoration, and that is driving the market upward.
    I agree.

Given the math, I am surprised at the way this car has been bid up. Good for Don.

I think one of the things that drives prices on these "projects" are the guys that think they can put $20-$30k into it and sell it for $100k. Then we see the car for sale again in 6 months with either more parts missing or as a "roller" with "all rust repair completed" yea ok, and painted red

I think this car is a good starting point for a person that knows the cars well, has good welding and fabrication skills and has a couple of years and a nice heated garage to work in.....or a big checkbook.

My main concern would be how structural the rust is....it looks like a solid east coast car

Kevin
    Member #2239
    '76 911 turbo lightweight
    '87 land rover D110