Thread: PMO fuel pressure control unit - return fuel line?

912->911 conversion

PMO fuel pressure control unit - return fuel line?

I feel like a numbskull, but here's my question -

Since swapping the motor in my 69 912 to a 911 motor with Webers, I need better fuel pressure regulation. I picked up a PMO fuel pressure control unit, but the 912 never had a return fuel line as it was always carburated. I'm guessing that adding a return fuel line is a first class pain the ass, so not worth it. So since this PMO fuel pressure regulator seems to be intended for converting FI cars to carbs, I think I ended up with not what I needed.

Anyone have any ideas here? Sell the PMO and go with a regular Holley type equivalent? Or can it be made to work?
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Keith,

Why not just use a Carter gerotor type 5psi pump in the first place, up front on the crossmember next to the fuel tank. This is better because the pump likes to push fuel vs. pull it, and by the time the fuel gets back to the carbs the pressure has dropped to an acceptable level that won't destroy the seats in your webers.

A lot of guys work pretty hard at using a Bosch CIS or EFI fuel pump that puts out like 55 psi and then work equally hard to lower the pressure. If you never generate the pressure in the first place it's a lot easier.

The carter pump is about $50, you can sell that beautiful piece of brass with the peanut gauge to finance it.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

912->911 conversion
    Yeah John - that's what I think I should do as well. So much for the engine compartment jewellery!
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe