Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7R wheel update

7R wheel update

Had a message from Jonathan at Group 4 wheels last night to say that he's now signed off the final drawings for the 7R wheels and matching 'deep six' fronts. Should be ready by mid-July, apparently. http://www.group4wheels.com

Cornwall
    UK

Banned
    Will be interested to see if this affects Fuchs market. No contest when comparing a cast wheel with a forged one.

Sickens me to see our cars become a conglomoration of aftermarket parts when originals are readily available...

Although I don't think 7Rs quite fall into the context of 'readily available' – at least, not for those building a car on a more modest budget.
    Cornwall
    UK

Any idea of the cost of these Keith?

Not yet – I guess that's the $64,000 question!

I gather they weigh just over 1.5 pounds more than the original, BTW.
    Cornwall
    UK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KS Carrera View Post
    Although I don't think 7Rs quite fall into the context of 'readily available' – at least, not for those building a car on a more modest budget.
    Exactly my point. Modest budget on an early 911? These are not Corvairs or British cars. Without sounding like a snob, that's the prevailing attitude over on the Bird. Those guys are beyond cheap. Heard about a Birder the other day: His wife wanted breast implants. He told her "Ok punkin let's do this: You can have one installed this month and the other one done as soon as we sell the 924."

I understand there's a place for cheaping out on a project (In racing it's called Lemons or Chump Car) but don't expect anywhere near top dollar for your car when it comes time to trade up. Talk to any current Parade participant intent on building a "Whole Enchilada" winning car. If they're candid they'll tell you it takes a minimum of $250k (I know one guy who's laughing at that number right now. ) to do a car at that level... but's that's another dimension on another planet that most can't fathom.

All of this to say that aftermarket parts that don't meet or exceed factory quality are not a long term benefit to the community.

So, what we are saying is that unless somebody is wealthy enough to dig deep and buy only the most expensive original parts (factory 7Rs, Bosch MFI, etc etc), he doesn't have the right to own a Porsche? And are we saying also that the only reason to own a Porsche is so that you can sell it for lots of money when it's done? Well, I guess I'd better sell my car then... A 912 with a 2.2 911E motor running Jenvey throttle bodies, aftermarket seats... all on the road for around $30K US, paint and body included. I don't care what it would sell for – it'll be a gas to drive. The cars I've owned and driven have always been for my pleasure, not seen solely as an investment. I guess the RGruppe guys have it all wrong, too...

No, if the prevailing attitude was 'only buy genuine old hens-teeth parts or your car's junk', then the scene would deserve to die. Fortunately, the majority are out to have fun. Concours awards? I'd rather rock chips and dead flies on the hood. There is a place for perfect rebuilds but we must never forget that, at the end of the day, Porsches were and still are on the whole mass-produced sports cars – 911Rs and other similar low-volume 'specials' excepted.

(All in the name of good-humored banter, by the way...)
    Last edited by KS Carrera; 05-30-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling! Oops... ;-)
    Cornwall
    UK

Oh SNAP!!! Very funny indeed.

You would not believe what it cost in US dollars to build the car in my signature!
    Last edited by Jens; 05-30-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I dread to think! My modest budget (and I mean modest) doesn't include an engine or trans rebuild, of course. But then I'm hoping that the people who sold me those two major components (well known in these circles) have been true to their word. If not, I'd better start selling body parts (mine, not the car's).
    Cornwall
    UK

Banned
    Keith,

I agree with most of your statements. I still believe that inferior parts are not an asset but a liability.

What I really tire of is this idea that just because a properly restored S goes for $130k, a poorly restored car or restoration candidate should bring 90k.
    Many sellers currently are star-struck or simply greedy.