Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some pics of my '66 911, slate gray with red interior

Some pics of my '66 911, slate gray with red interior

I finally got around to taking some pics of my newly purchased '66 911. I've never seen another 911 with this color combo in person before...just love it! I didn't think i could afford this car, but I was able to buy it with some of the money from selling #300278. The chrome 4.5x15 steelies need refinishing, so the 14" Fuchs are on it temporarily. It was repainted once about 10 years ago. It has an 80s Clarion radio in it...at least he didn't butcher the wood! Anybody have a proper radio for it they'd like to sell? It also came with the optional factory woven mats all folded up nicely and never used!

It's a one family-owned '66 911 from the same guy I bought '65 911 #300278 from. The guy I bought it from inherited it in 1986 from his uncle who ordered it new from the factory. He kept all the order documents and the window sticker!

There's about 10 letters from him back and forth regarding the order and the Euro delivery with a Porsche factory correspondent named Joachim Peiper. I did my history master's thesis on POW treatment in WWII, so this name rang a bell...a quick wikipedia lookup and it turns out he was an ex-Nazi SS office who later did work for Porsche...pretty crazy!

I could use some help finding the original engine for it...here's a previous post about it:

My 911 #303744 was built in Feb. 1966, and was delivered with engine 903879 which was one of the last Solex carburetor engines to leave the factory.

Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, the engine was replaced with a '67 911 engine 911062, built with E pistons and cams with Webers. I know it's a long shot, but I would really love to find the original engine for this car.

Some clues to help:

The first owner's name was William D Arnett, an engineer with Lockheed working on military projects.
    He lived in Saratoga, CA for most of his life until he moved to Oregon in the last few years before 1986.
    There are some receipts during that time period from Norm Anderson VW & Porsche in San Jose, but nothing regarding an engine swap.
    The engine is a 901/1 Solex engine, but was produced after they stopped installing center lube cams.

Any ideas or leads are appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 911E4ME; 06-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Here are some more pics...gotta love those factory mats! They are even listed on the window sticker.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What a time machine!

It looks like it may have had a Becker, see how the wood is faded around where a faceplate would have been?

What a great color combination. That really WORKS.

Can you scan some of the original collateral you have, like the sticker? That would be really neat to see.

I have some '64 non-spraybar cam towers, but as yours is a Solex spraybar motor they won't be much use. I'll keep an eye out for that number or one near it.

What are the production dates on the back of your instruments?

Looks great and I have spent my fair share of time around '66s . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

What an absolutely stunning car. I love the color combo.

Neat history with Peiper as well. He was killed when a person or persons unknown firebombed his house in France, probably for his brutal record during the war.
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    That name also tolled a bell for me......Malmedy

He was also personal adjutant to Himmler........

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Blowtorch Peiper!
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Blowtorch Peiper!
    Yeah...hard to believe he worked for Porsche for so long...supposedly he had family connections there? Most ex-SS officers wisely changed their names and/or moved to Argentina, but Peiper stubbornly refused to change his name and even moved to France (!!!) where his family had some land. That's where he was attacked and killed in the mid-70s...crazy story.
    Last edited by 911E4ME; 06-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I will scan the window sticker and order sheets when I get some time. I also have a letter from Peiper where he agrees to put the break-in miles on the car for Mr. Arnett so that he could drive it hard when he took delivery. I didn't know they would do this...wouldn't mind having that job!

Great looking car and love the color combo. What is the box with the switch under the steering column? Laser ray? Ejection seat?
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

Factory Mats

For those who like the look of the factory mats in this '66 similiar ones are still availble from cocomats.com. They are the sisal material in tan/light brown, with black trim and black footrest. I have attached a picture of them in my '74 914 also availble for 911's.Name:  914int 006.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  110.4 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!