Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The sigh of relief heard round the world
    Ain’t that the truth! Congratulations sir. Now enjoy it
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Wow Ravi ! Just checking this thread out again after quite a few years I recall clearly how happy you were when you found the car and began the work that was eons ago and to think the guy took that great advantage but did finally complete it
    is just unbelievable in these days and time does eccentric come to mind ? Sheese ?
    I purchased a '73 S Ivory off this board last summer in a basket and it's now at a buds shop in Cali , almost 3000 miles from my home but we are on better footing at least I'm reasonably certain we are haha I have four cars there !
    Mine is also getting engine and trans suspension and interior and refreshed paint despite a new paint job when received . Your car looks great I can only hope for as much peace Bert

Ravi, glad to hear you have your car back. I've been following this thread from Alaska, and although it is indeed great you have your car back, I am happier to hear your health is much improved. Keep on keeping on!!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I certainly feel physically and mentally better!

As requested, a couple of before and after pictures.The "before" didn't look so bad when I first towed her away from the shed she was stored in, although I could see in daylight right away that there was plenty of rust and my magnet said there was plenty of bondo. Within days we knew there was a lot of body work to do (or redo) with hits on front left and right and rear accumulated over the years. All set right on the Celette. The car is straight as an arrow. Harvey found weld repairs on two of the rims and that's part of why it took him 3+ years, as he had two find 2 date matched rims for the car. The other option of transplanting a rim from another wheel was cheaper, put I was happy to wait for the elusive rims to show up. For all the delays and associated angst, I have to say Robert is an amazing body man and mechanic. The gaps are not only uniform on one side, but if you compare them between left and right at the same points, they are within a couple of tenths of a millimetre. Even my Macan has a slightly higher variance.

Name:  L1020736.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  66.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1044[1].jpg
Views: 429
Size:  116.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1634[1].JPG
Views: 404
Size:  137.4 KB
    Name:  mSlubCMrRtaWNGWuZaPsfw.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  127.9 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

It looks so good in white.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    It looks so good in white.
    Recall it was originally Ivory white and then gulf blue, pinkish, yellow and black (twice). I always wanted a tangerine car and almost bought a T from Vintage Excellence before I stumbled across this S. But I have to say the white with the black trim certainly pops.

Name:  Robert's Porsche 005.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  100.5 KB

Bob Ashlock to the rescue with a Nov '72 refurbished CDI box. Delivered less than 48 hours after we spoke. This should be the end of the big expenditures and make the car fully drivable. Robert used his own box for all testing and tuning and swapped it out for my bum PK Bosch CDI box when he delivered the car on Wednesday. Motor has used several hundred litres of fuel on the dyno, so it's all broken in and ready to go.

If anyone needs a Bosch CDI box (box only - I wouldn't recommend the internal electronics!), let me know. These are useful for cores. I won't be returning it to PK for repairs to the electronics as it is out of warranty and it's already gone back once.

Name:  SbwuZFsBSWex2pySaBSUdg.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  93.9 KB

Congrats Ravi - first on the news regarding your health, and 2ndly on getting your car finished. Wow. Stunner.
    All the best.
    Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Yes those PK CDI boxes are rubbish, I had 3 fail out of 6 I purchased a while ago.

They blame everything but their box��

I have purchased one of the highly rated but highly expensive versions from them UK will be interesting to
    see how it goes.

Great your finally touching and driving your car, pay the rebuilder in the same timely manner it took him to deliver the finished product.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

The all important sticker. Some of you make no know this, but the exact reproductions sold on the ESR were actually made by my restorer, who is credited on the ESR store site.
    Attached Images Attached Images