Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Money always does the talking. I'm sure if someone offered the guy $75,000.00 he would change his mind. Unless he's super wealthy and money doesn't matter. What are the odds?
    72S, 72T now ST

So lesson 1. If you've fond a great deal but have not bought it yet, keep it to yourself until the car is yours.
    1988 3.2 Carrera
    @joost_hermes

S Registry # 2292

Quote Originally Posted by Joost Hermes View Post
    So lesson 1. If you've fond a great deal but have not bought it yet, keep it to yourself until the car is yours.
    I warned the finder about this kind of thing here on the forums. He didn’t respond to my PM, probably didn’t even read it.
    It takes a special type of ******* to "brag" about such a purchase in this particular thread though.

Special

Quote Originally Posted by clesch View Post
    . . . warned the finder about this kind of thing . . . takes a special type . . . to "brag" about such a purchase . . .
    . . . and welcome to the board, NorthernThrux . . . . have you met 69S-S/R?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=restore
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=119300093
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Is this for real? I thought it a perverse joke at first. If 69-S/R did this he's a douche bag!!! Hi Tom. Did you really do an end run around this guy? This has to be a joke, right?
    Last edited by steve shea; 06-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . and welcome to the board, NorthernThrux . . . . have you met 69S-S/R?[/url]
    And on the third day, there was flammage... which did produce no light, but satisfied the faithful.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

More 'Special' . . .

. . . 69S-S/R's day-job . . .

http://www.356consulting.com/About%20Us.htm

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for puttin' up the brief "history" lesson, Rick... had checked out his "consulting" site earlier, but all of this is moot if'n Mr. Tom swept in under NorthernThrux and stole his dream buy. It's a reminder that here among the faithful troll scoundrels that are sometimes dealers, who use sites like this to find their prey.

There's a special place for such people. On a list, where we never forget their names and if possible put a face to it for good measure.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I have no idea what car 69S-S/R bought, because the one I was referring to is now in my name ! Clearly he is a BS artist of the highest order. I am very amused by the list of people already flaming me for "bragging" when all I was asking for was advice on what to look for. Very few people offered that advice. Let's see if you can do better in the future, because I'll be asking for plenty of advice.

It is funny. He gave me the 10am-noon slot to view the car as he promised. There was a line of cars outside his property at noon. 7 or 8 !

Some details

VIN 9113300854
    Engine 6331315 Type 911/53
    Transmission 7336515

Original colour was light ivory
    Original selling dealer was VoA Texas
    Optional Equipment: Koni shock absorbers and Tinted windows.

He had a Porsche yellowed letter dated 16.04.1991 from Porsche in Stuttgart, what we'd call a COA today. Verified everything. It is a matching numbers car.

The car is better than a barn find, but needs some work. Oil leak that stops after the engine is stopped. Needs new heat exchangers/exhaust. Headers are good. Needs new carpet, engine compartment sound deadening pad. Has new syncros in the transmission and has had some engine work and MFI work.

Frankly, I think it's better to put the work into it now and enjoy it rather than wait 15 years till retirement. There is surface rust on the left side battery box floor area and a bit under the car, but very, very solid for now. If I wait too long though, I worry that surface rust can deteriorate.

Also, I'd rewire the whole car. Easily something I can do. There are speakers in the front two door pockets and a 2nd non original radio (and MEI). A Clarion was the radio "original" to the car when he purchased it. I have bills back to 1991. Nothing from it's life in Texas. Since 1991 it has been driven 5000 miles, and the engine and tranny work was done in 1996 and 2005 respectively. The lettering was black anodized but has faded. Not a scratch however.

The paint job was glass out for sure, but sloppy in some ways. They painted over the adhesive from the stickers on the engine compartment for example. But the visible exterior is in excellent shape with a dupont clear coat. I think the right thing to do is blast the whole chassis down to bare metal and do the right epoxy and paint work now while it is still quite sound. Find the leak now as well and do the exhaust. Then I can take my time attending to everything else. The interior will keep. It has early 70's Recaros in leather, driver and passenger sides.

Other suggestions on how to go about this ? Here are some crappy cell phone pics. It was in the shed, not driven in the past year. Pics from the first post were from the Ad he posted.

I'll be trailering it on Wednesday. Better pictures then.

Name:  IMG_0092.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  61.7 KBName:  IMG_0093.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  80.9 KBName:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  77.6 KBName:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  63.7 KBName:  IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  30.9 KB

P.S. The "rust" on the firewall is actually adhesive, I guess from the sound deadening material ?