Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Looking really good, Ravi! Happy you got the car back now the weather is fine!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Speed relay disassembled. Quite a bit of corrosion on some of the transistor cans, seemingly coming from the glue used to bind other components to them. T1's base and emitter legs are both broken, and the emitter leg fracture is so close to the can that it can't be soldered back.

There are a number of options to replace the transistors and diodes, ranging from about $5 to $70 in parts depending on transistor family and housing style. Bob Ashlock rebuilds these, properly calibrated for the rpm cut-in and cut-off for $99 (resistors R5 and R6 were custom matched to each board by hand back in the day to get the right rpm thresholds!! You can see them soldered on the posts in the picture below). So it's just easier to send to him and he has offered to look at the tach at the same time. May not do that till the winter, because the goal is to drive as much as possible. Yes, with a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering and Physics, running an MRI research lab with about $30M of equipment in it I can fix it myself in my lab, but in these hard times, I want to support our community (yeah, even in the US) and that's another reason to send it to Bob. Tom (sithot) said back in 2008, "It's fun to fix things but sometimes it's better to use the sources that are available to us. Support these folks so they are around when you need them." Now, more than ever, people with secure employment should be doing so, and I recognize I'm privileged to be able to do so.

Fortunately, last night I stumbled across a brand new Bosch classic F 026 T00 002 relay on eBay for $65 plus shipping as a "Buy it Now" so I snagged it. This is the modern Bosch replacement for the MFI speed switch, hopefully without the issues that plagued the old one. I have never seen a new one opened, and will post a picture when I get it, so we can see if the manufacturing reliability has improved.

In the mean time, here's a picture of my current one which is Porsche part 901.615.111.01. The arrow marks the broken leg NPN transistor T1.

Ravi

Name:  IMG_1187.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  119.0 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Such old school technology. Looks like Heath kits I assembled back in the 1970’s. I miss Heath kits.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Such old school technology. Looks like Heath kits I assembled back in the 1970’s. I miss Heath kits.
    Me too. My dad was never into sports or sports cars (other than the brush with almost buying a 901 in 1963 that I wrote about elsewhere on this board a few years ago), so our father-son bonding was over building Heathkit TV's radios and the like. It's how I learned to solder. Which is ironic, because now I get 4th year honours project students and grad students in Electrical engineering and they have absolutely no idea how to solder. Kids these days.....
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 06-07-2020 at 06:28 AM.

First trip out of the city. Sunrise at Port Stanley on Lake Erie. Normally a bustling R&R spot, but beaches, coffee shops and boutiques all closed. Only the boat launch was open, and there a line to get the boats in the water. Perfect day for it.

Shake down issues? Suspension creak on the driver’s front. Probably my leaking shock. Can replicate by pushing down on the driver’s side fender (or pulling up on the fender). Jason at Paragon has replacement Koni Classic inserts coming my way. And the damn tach only goes up to 5400 rpm and then hangs or even starts to come back down. Add that to my tach mysteries. Speed relay was out, so can’t blame that for any tach shenanigans. Everything else seems to be running like a top. Have to figure out how to use the heating system. Did finally get some warm air blowing on my sandal clad feet on a brisk morning after randomly moving levers around (and of course raising the flapper box lever on the floor).

Name:  441B5763-0433-4527-B032-4D31FFEBA008.jpeg
Views: 386
Size:  92.2 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 06-07-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Ravi as has been so with every Porsche coupe I've owned from a '53 to a '73, the heat has worked the same. So so. To really augment the flow crack the rear quarter windows. You'll find a big difference. With the 911 there is a good greenhouse effect and I get hot fast; so modulating the cabin temp can get fiddly. Back in the day when all I had was a speedster or coupe, I would fluff up a couple of down sleeping bags in the rear seat area to increase the dead air space. It worked, I used to drive them all winter in CO. and not only on sunny days. In your photo it looks like the quarters are open. This will help cool air ventilation as well.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

IF,,,and that is a big IF,,,all the levers, valves, cables are all adjusted correctly, then max heat to floor is; tunnel lever all the way up, and all three dash levers all the way left. Max defrost would be bottom lever all the way right. My guess is that the heater valves under car aren't adjusted right. Normal restoration teething problems,,,,nothing you can't solve.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

... or don’t wear sandals on cold day

Thanks Ed,

I did install all the frunk components myself and made sure all the flaps sealed, opened or diverted correctly. I also rebuilt the blower and balanced the squirrel cage. I think I did end up with everything fully left in the end, so I am on the right track it seems. I did not check the flapper boxes and will do that next, since the car is on the storage lift in my garage. It may be I am just asking too much of the system. I had the front windows rolled fully down and the rear quarter windows open fully. Driving at 60-70 mph with an outside temp of 50 F may be a bit ambitious, as 911MRP implies....

Bob Ashlock has been very helpful on the tach side and I’ll be shipping my mfi speed relay and tach to him tomorrow. The hunch is the tach has had its innards replaced with older electronics at some point in its life.

Ravi

When all is working properly the heater should put you out of the car
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.