Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

I'm just glad you've got a car to fiddle with....
    Congrats & enjoy

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Ravi, that’s not a bad temperature considering the ambient outside temp you’re experiencing at the moment.
    The trombone may not be the best designed cooler, but most of the heat is actually dissipated along the LENGTH of the oil lines rather than the loop - what matters is the reading on your gauge & that looks good! So happy you are enjoying your 911!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Today's project while the thunderstorms rained down was to replace the plastic cold start sprayers in the MFI stacks. I seem to be very fortunate in that my plastic ones appear to be completely intact, although somewhat discoloured with age. Still, since I'm driving in 90F plus heat and using the car as a daily driver, I decided I wanted a bit of peace of mind in case one of these sprung a leak and ended up spraying fuel on the hot motor by some fluke. I have to say these old cars make me nervous. So many odd smells, noises and such. I get a bit paranoid. Modern cars (at least the ones running well) just insulate you from all this.

So I replaced them with the brass ones with o-ring seals that Sierra Madre and a few other places sell. They ain't cheap, but I guess insurance never is. https://sierramadrecollection.com/Co...73-p30589.html

I got the braided hose (2m) , Oetiker cad plated high pressure clamps (13) and a metal T (1) to replace the stock plastic one, all from Belmetric. Part numbers in the picture below.

Pretty straightforward if you aren't pulling the old hoses off the plastic nozzles. Just pull out all 6 nozzle, undo the hose clamp at the cold start solenoid on top of the fuel filter with a flat blade screw driver and remove the whole assembly as one piece. Cut the new hose to the same lengths, slide over the barbed brass and metal connectors and clam using a sprinkler pinch clamp tool, available at any hardware store.

Push the new nozzles into the MFI stacks. This requires a bit of force as they have dual o-ring seals. It's good because they don't leak air and make your idle wobbly.

It could be my imagination, but the car does seem to start faster. About 2s of cranking tops. I think it was closer to 3s before, but I also learned another trick which is to depress the accelerator before pulling the hand throttle up, as that seems to pull the cable tighter. Gives my 3000 rpm within 5s of starting.

Detail of one crimped nozzle
    Name:  +1fpis3uRrCaIX1Up%16Yw.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  116.7 KB

Old and new comparison and crimp tool. I made the lines a couple of mm longer than the old ones.
    Name:  0qDG5k%LT7m47RDQfMYTpw.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  135.3 KB

Old plumbing and new plumbing
    Name:  Ee4g8EXMQkGVUEyrvZxTfw.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  194.1 KB

Passenger side MFI bank.
    Name:  yszi%u1pRzWo%hMwi5p+3Q.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  77.8 KB

Belmetric part numbers
    Name:  bVinLq7lRfuHDgpMIM12Ew.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  112.6 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-11-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

And in case people think I'm not driving enough. Today was a milestone. 600 miles since I got her back and half a quart of VR20W50 added. Which would mean about 1 quart per 1200 miles. My Macan uses zero quarts between annual oil changes. Technology has changed.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_465e.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  95.8 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-11-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Interesting, I didn’t know these replacements for the plastic cold start injectors are available. I just noticed that I have a small fuel leak on the cold start injector for cylinder 3; after a cold start a little bit of fuel remains on the flat black T-connecting peace. I think it seeps out of the fuel line there. After a hot start, it doesn’t leak which makes sense since the cold start system isn’t in use then.

You say “spraying fuel on the hot motor by some fluke” but that should never happen if the thermo time switch works correctly, and there is just no fuel allowed to the cold start system if the starter is not running. So I’m not that worried.

Regarding old cars making you nervous, it takes a little bit of time to build trust and make them reliable. I just returned from a two-day 800-mile trip with my Targa and it didn’t miss a beat. Last year I did a similar trip and had various minor issues (clutch cable, hood popping up, hand brake failing etc) but these are all fixed now. Highly recommended btw!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

You are right of course, But cold start solenoids do fail and so do thermo time switches. Whether that would ever result in a fire is debatable, but I’ve taken care of that eventuality. I’ve saved the original plumbing, so of some future caretaker wanted to reinstall it, its available.

In 600 miles the only reliability issue I have had is dead batteries. And those were in my garage after 4 days of not driving and then again 2 days after not driving. Verified no phantom drain on the batteries. Total draw was 5 milliamps with the car off. Just the clock. In both cases the car was not on the CTEK. I have no doubt the batteries completely discharged while in Robert’s shop and who knows what conditions they encountered over their 4 years of abuse in Bolton. So I replaced the Interstate 911 batteries with two Odyssey 925 AGM batteries. I might want to install an adjustable voltage regulator to bump the charging voltage up for a more AGM friendly value of 14.3 or so. I actually have an original SEV Marchal regulator which is adjustable, but that will be saved with the cold start plumbing and the few other original bits like the H4s and the comfort seats I rebuilt.

I do feel I could take Hildegard on an epic road trip. Just working my way up to it! Thanks for the encouragement.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-13-2020 at 12:37 PM.

I have been reading this web site virtually daily for the past 8 years and occasionally for another few years prior. In all that time, I've certainly viewed over ten thousand images, but not even a handful of these were taken at night. Do people not drive at night?

I do. Dusk and night time drives are particularly relaxing I find. Last night I even had to use the heat a bit on my legs as there was a chill in the air, although I still had the windows all down/open. It wasn't foggy, so I didn't have my fog lights on Probably should have for the photos. Oh well.

I have a set of John Audette's restored H4 lights safely tucked away in the basement with a few of the other original take-offs that are preserved for originality and the next caretaker of the car. Instead I use a set of John's LED lights (the cheaper ones, not the JW Speaker ones) I modified with Bosch H4 lenses for subtlety. I can't emphasize what a difference these make in driving at night with my 56 year old eyes. If you do drive at night, I do highly recommend them. I also sourced from him a set of uprated brightness bulbs for the marker lights and brake lights. Definitely make the car considerably more visible.

Name:  WardhWe4SIqfIN9IWA9q%A.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_4664.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  wLWdvpn8SdKLMrzbN3Espg.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-14-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Really nice pics. It is very clear that the upgraded headlights are helpful. more of a modern white light instead of the yellow flashlight look.

A little bling for the tail pipe. Took USPS 6 weeks to get it to Toronto. Took Canada Post 2 days over a weekend to get it through Customs and to my house in London, ON.
    One of those nice finishing touches. This is stainless, not chrome, so it shouldn't blue as much, not that I career. The bluing of the pipes on my motorcycles was always something I enjoyed watching. The patina of use.

Name:  yxABqZiMROW5O9uFVRmgfA.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  80.1 KB
    Name:  S35B96ISSHWAmMi6+tOP1g.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  103.7 KB

Car on the lift for the first time in a month since I've been using it as my daily driver.

Found grease splattered in tidy rows on the starter and other areas in line with the CV joint. Started reading and found out that it might be a good idea to retorque these 12.9 bolts and schnorr washers once in a while. Pulled out the ol' torque wrench and indeed the bolts on both sides had backed out between 0.5 and 1 turn. Enough that the torque wrench didn't click until I had achieved enough rotation. Seems like a common issue and another thing to keep an eye on. No leak from the gasket side, but a bit from one of the bolts and a smidge from the metal cap to body joint.

To do it right I should get new bolts and washers (for at least new washers), clean the grease out of the threads and retoique them, but for the moment, I'll just keep an eye on them. 700 miles or so since she came back and I have been driving.

So glad I have a lift to do these maintenance jobs. Don't know how you guys who have to crawl under your cars to do this stuff manage, but kudos to you.

Name:  tfxFKWbBR3CYR8D9GJP02A.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  114.3 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-16-2020 at 07:05 AM.