Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI pump bench test data

MFI pump bench test data

I am looking for the test data sheets for my MFI pump. Does anyone out there have it? the sheets I need are for:
    PED 6 KL 60/120 R2 Z with a EP/RLA 1/29R regulator.
    This is a German home market 1970 2.2 911E pump. I have a test bench set up but need the data to calibrate the flows. The only data I can find is for a 2.4 PED 6 KL 60/120 R3, R3 Z and R3Y with a EP/RLA 1/41, 42, 43 R regulator. and a PED 6 KL 60/120 R1 Z with a EP/RLA 1/21R regulator. thought to be a 2.0lt

Does the data I need match any of these. I suspect not....
    Last edited by michael70st; 06-13-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typeerror

Michael,
    Contact Mark Jung (356RS).............he may be able to help you out.
    regards,
    al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Here you go:

Name:  2.2E Bosch Sheet.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  97.4 KB
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Thanks, that is just what I need.

Michael

Would you be willing to explain what the information in the data sheet means and show some pictures of your test bench?

I am not a professional Bosch Tec but have stripped down and rebuilt several pumps before.

I tried for a long time to find anyone in the UK who can do the tests without success. Also I am on a tight budget and I am too tight to pay the thousands of pounds/dollars/Euro that the few firms out there seem to want to charge. I have now given up and built my own bench. The tests are not that complex and the data on the sheets is quite self explanatory once translated from German. Some information is on the Pelican Parts site. ie the repair sheets from Bosch but the photos are poor. It helps to have seen a pump apart before. The bigest problem I had was getting parts.

I feel there is scope for someone with a lot more experience than me to write a clear, plain English step-by-step Thread/Post with good clear photos on how to dismantle, rebuild and test a pump.

The PED 6 KL number is found on the pump plate while the EP/RLA number is on the regulator plate. These need to match up with your data sheet.

Test A is the rack travel test.
    Column 1 = angle of the control lever arm in degrees
    Column 2 = Speed of pump during test in RPM
    Column 3 = Rack travel in mm
    Adjustment is made at the control arm head, then at :
    1. Feder, the centre adjustment screw on the front of the regulator.
    2. Feder, the Black adjustment screws on the front of the regulator.
    3. Feder, the White adjustment screws on the front of the regulator.

Test B is the full load tests made with the control lever fully open ie Column 1.
    Column 2 = RPM of pump during the test
    Column 3 = Travel of rack in mm.
    Column 4 = Fuel delivered in cm3 over 1000 pump strokes
    Column 5 = Tolerance for error.
    You are looking to see that you have equal delivery from all pistons. In not then adjustment is made at the clamp sleeves to the pistons at the rack.

To get the right delivery of 1000 pump strokes you time the run ie 1000 rpm = 60 seconds to do 1000 strokes, so 2000 rpm = 30 seconds etc. This I do with a solenoid on the fuel feed to the pump and a stopwatch.

To get the pump running at the right RPM you need an electric motor and a speed controller with cycle or RPM display. As the drive to the pump is 1:1 of the motor the speed of the motor is the speed of the pump.

To get the angle of the control lever I use a 360-degree protractor and pointer mounted to the pump. I have seen an AngleStar APS protractor used. But I can’t afford one of these.

Test C is the basically the same but is a full test under different control lever angles and speeds.

Adjustment again is made at the front of the regulator.
    1. Feder, the centre adjustment screw on the front of the regulator and looking to see that you have equal delivery.
    2.Feder, the Black adjustment screws on the front of the regulator.
    3. Feder, the White adjustment screws on the front of the regulator

Test D is the stop solenoid test, and on early pumps the cold start solenoid. Again you are measuring the rack movement when activated in mm.

I have set up my bench with nylon 6mm tubing from the pump to test tubes with 1ml graduations.

My motor is a 1HP 3 phase 2 pole run via a phase converter with speed control with a RPM display. I have made an adapter to allow the toothed pulley from the cam to be fitted direct to the drive shaft. This gives a 1:1 drive to the pump. The pump speed can then be regulated by the controller to give the right RPM.

I have a electric solenoid on the fuel feed taken from a standard MFI fuel pump via an inline filter and fuel pressure gage with regulator. The fuel is ten fed to the pump prior to the test run at 1.2 bar and then the solenoid switched off. When the run is started I switch the solenoid back on at the same time as starting the stopwatch. Then back off again at the end of the timed run.

I am sure if I am doing anything wrong or giving bad advice someone will jump in and correct me.

Best of luck. Michael
    Last edited by michael70st; 06-13-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by michael70st View Post
    I feel there is scope for someone with a lot more experience than me to write a clear, plain English step-by-step Thread/Post with good clear photos on how to dismantle, rebuild and test a pump.
    Best of luck. Michael
    Michael

The PES 6KL used by Mercedes (single inline pump) uses the same EP/RLA regulator design as the PED (double inline pump) used by Porsche.

You can buy the manual for the PES (Mercedes) in English here

Bosch Automotive Tradition also sell the PED (Porsche) manual in German.

Regards
    John

John, Thanks for the link. That manual looks good. I have sent off for one.

Do Bosch, either through Automotive Traditions or via and other outlet, supply parts for PED pumps?
    I can see anything on their web site.

Or is there another way to get parts.

My local Bosch agent says he can't supply them and does not have part numbers that match anything in his books. I don't think he was interested in looking that hard.

I know Gus at PFI can get parts but I don't want to bother him with supplying gaskets and other minor bits, and he is a long way from the UK.
    He and others must be getting them from someone.

I found a good match on the rear seal and bearings but it's a drag having to make gaskets and I could use new delivery valves for a 2.4 pump I want to do for my ST. I was told that to get the nylon seals for under the valves made, I would need to run off about 1000. as I only need 6, this is a non starter.

Michael

Michael

I sent you a pm. Please let me know if you get it.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by michael70st View Post
    Do Bosch, either through Automotive Traditions or via and other outlet, supply parts for PED pumps?
    They have been reproduced by Bosch - these links show part numbers and kit contents on the Automotive Tradition web site.

Seal kit for Pump

Seal kit for Regulator

Regards
    John