Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 302596 wht glv

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I like how the wheels have such a long history with the car...
    Those were the some of the first wide (5.5) wheels available for Porsche. McAfee wheels, very cool period piece(s) on a very nice find.
    H

Next Up: How I met WHT GLV.

A casual Internet searching session on April 14 2012 is when I first learned of WHT GLV when I stumbled across the car on Craigslist. Hmm… a one owner ’66 SoCal car? Unh huh, right. This seemed too good to be true, I thought. What’s the catch? I’m usually a day late or a dollar short on these deals. I called the number in the ad and went straight to voice mail. I figured yeah, no surprise here; I won’t be hearing anything back. I left a message anyway, and went about my day.

About 2 hours later I got a call back from a Mr. Don Dickie who filled in general some background – he was the brother of the owner James, who had passed away late last year after an extended illness. He told me his brother had bought the car new. James loved the car, it was in awesome shape etc etc - enough to start to get me really excited. He asked if he could have the family lawyer call me back, as he would be handling the transaction. “Sure, I said, any time”.

(Don't you just love the timing of the little bug in the picture above?)

3 hours later I got a call from a Joe Burton – family friend, lawyer and certified car nut in his own right (early GMC stuff, trucks etc). “Does it happen to have stuff like the tool kit, and owners manual” I asked. “Oh yeah, all that stuff’s there. The documentation and condition of this car is solid”. “Any other interest in the car?” I asked. “Oh yeah, the ad’s only been up a few days and we’ve had over 400 hits. I’ve got some guy from Germany who wants to send me a deposit”. “But...has he sent you the money yet” I nervously asked. “No, not yet. I think these overseas transactions are a pain in the a#% and I really would rather not deal with it if I don’t have to”.

We made a deal: I would commit to fly to Indianapolis as soon as possible – the next day if I could arrange it, if Joe would agree to hold the car until I got there.

I called Luke Marano – I had never met Luke, nor had we even spoken, but I had learned through this board he was local to me, and we had made email contact from one of my first posts on this board where I was fortunately talked out of a questionable T purchase by the membership here. While not new to 911’s (I have an RSA), I did know the world of early swb’s could be a landmine-filled world of sheet metal rot, major costs, and swapped out original pieces, and if one didn’t know what to look for, it could get real expensive in a hurry.

Luke offered to help me find someone local to help with a PPI. But time was short, I was leaving the next day – I’d leave it with him to see what he could do. I stopped at the bank, and got $1000 in cash to serve as a good faith deposit.

NEXT UP: Flying to Indy, deflation and a reality check, meeting the family
    Last edited by luke-44; 07-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Now we have two Lukes. Welcome to this playground L44, glad you're here.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Luke,
    Your car was looking familiar to me ; I finally recall ; you probably know... it appear on page 30 to 35 of the book : Porsche 911, Buyer's Guide, from Randy Leffingweel, as a 66 model...

Congrats for the buy !
    Regards
    JD
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

Quote Originally Posted by RS-GT View Post
    ... it appear on page 30 to 35 of the book : Porsche 911, Buyer's Guide, from Randy Leffingweel, as a 66 model...
    Yup, good recall JD, you're right - you're a chapter or 2 ahead of my story.

Is that an Ansa Exhaust?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Cool find! Looks like it's in good shape too.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Is that an Ansa Exhaust?
    Um, not sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about exhaust systems can comment?

Great looking gaps... Congrats.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Sweet 911 and another great story. Nice one!
    Andrew Chisholm
    Early 911S Member #1994
    1973 911E 2.4L Coupe
    1969 912 Coupe, original owner