Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum trailing arms and rear Aluminum S Calipers?

Aluminum trailing arms and rear Aluminum S Calipers?

Good afternoon,

I have a 1970 911S and am in the middle of a suspension upgrade. Part of the upgrade is swapping the steel trailing arms for Aluminum (MY 74-86 I believe). Will my aluminum S rear calipers fit on the new Aluminum trailing arms or do I need to purchase steel M calipers? I tried fitting them last night and it doesn't look like a perfect swap. (The search's I've tried do not speak directly to caliper fitment)

Name:  IMG_0729[1].jpg
Views: 413
Size:  112.3 KB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

The calipers should fit unless the swing arms are Carrera then the rotor will be a smidge larger,M calipers should answer that...Bert

Hi
    You may find you have issues with shock absorber clearance. 2.2 steel arms have the shock mount further forward than steel 2.4 and aluminium arms. The shock turrets were changed on these later shells to allow clearance for the shock.

Kind regards.
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

Ummm, your '70 911S should have cast iron M calipers on the rear...

See these posts for info on the shock clearance:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...arm+conversion

Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Isn't the rear caliper on an S car steel and not Aluminum?

You can run your rear shock without the dust cover and the shock will work fine. S front calipers are aluminum. Are you saying that your rear calipers are aluminum?
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    You can run your rear shock without the dust cover and the shock will work fine.
    Not on my shell. Even with the dust covers removed the shock still rubbed on the turret but different shells may have slight difference in turrets so you may be fine.

Kind regards.
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by johntyboy View Post
    Hi
    You may find you have issues with shock absorber clearance. 2.2 steel arms have the shock mount further forward than steel 2.4 and aluminium arms. The shock turrets were changed on these later shells to allow clearance for the shock.

Kind regards.
    John,
    The Aluminum arms I am using have already been machined for the proper angle. They are installed and clearance is no problem.
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    Ummm, your '70 911S should have cast iron M calipers on the rear...

See these posts for info on the shock clearance:

You are correct, I apologize for my oversight. I have read the other posts you provided but I don't see reference to the type of caliper used. I wonder if I just don't have something else fit quite right.

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry those didn't help with the caliper. What is the disc off of? I think the early rear vented rotor had a different backspace... The ones used with widened L calipers. Would be odd if you had one of those... Or there is something strange in your hub mounting?
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green