Thread: Drive in a 2.7RS

Drive in a 2.7RS

Had the good fortune to be able to drive a 2.7 RS yesterday. It was recently subjected to a full restoration, although oddly the (former) owner had had it restored as a mish-mash of half touring and half light-weight spec (it was originally a touring).

The first 911 I ever drove was a 2.7 RS (18 years ago) and unfortunately I wasn't experienced enough with cars or 911s to make the most of it then. Fortunately that is less of a problem today.

What a fabulous car the 2.7RS is to drive. Does it deserve its near-mythical status? And the eye-watering prices being asked for them? I don't know. I do know that the feedback it gives you is wonderful. The unassisted steering is surprisingly light and you can feel the lack of weight: I used to own a 3.2 (one of the 8 911s I've had, if you include the two 993s I still own) and that was nice but in tighter corners it needed a strong arm to get it turned in. Not so with the RS. I was a bit concerned before the drive as I broke my arm only six weeks ago and I was worried I might have difficulty with an unassisted steering, but I didn't have any problems at all.

At low speed the sound of the RS was not really special but under full acceleration with the revs rising the tone changed, got harder and angrier and was simply wonderful to hear.

The RS I drove had a short shift fitted and the gearbox felt very good, although not perfect. Overall I think the car would benefit from a bit of bedding in and tweaking (it had only done 160 km since the restauration).

What surprises me is how quick the RS felt, given that is a 40-year old car and only as 210 bhp (hardly a warm hatch by today's standards). It also had a surprising and very pleasant amount of low down power. I got to drive up a mountain road and it was immensely satisfying to drive hard into the corners, stephard on the brake-pedal, quickly blip the throttle with a roll of the foot whilst slipping it into second, before swinging the RS into the bend and getting on the gas to fire it out the other side. I could have carried on like that all day. Unfortunately the owner (not a good passenger) was not enjoying the experience quite as much!

The top two cars on my want list are the 2.7 RS and the F40. They share some commonalities: both are quite basic with no electronic help and unassisted steering. However from there they diverge significantly. As much as I want an F40 I can't imagine owning one and being able to keep my licence. I also wonder how it would cope with the back roads I prefer to drive on. On the other hand I could easily see myself buzzing around the Swiss countryside in an RS. Problem is that when I think of getting an RS it occurs that I could have an RS tribute car built to my own spec for about a third of the price, or for similar money could buy a perfect 2.7 Carrera ( which probably gives 85% of the RS experience for a fraction of the outlay), or a mildly tweaked 2.4S, which would probably offer much of the enjoyment.

Anyway, outcome of today's drive is that I want to own an early 911! Just need to decide which one and when so have joined this forum to do some research and get some advice.

Having owned 993's, a 997 Carrera S and now a 73S, I agree with you on the feel the connection of the car to the road and best of all there is a soul to these early cars not found in newer cars. I've spent the last week in LA with a friend of mine and his black Ferrari California. While it's an amazing car, I'd rather be driving my car. I know the RS has more power maybe a bit lighter than my S my experience is the same as yours. I believe you'll be pleased with any of the early Porsches cars. You should drive a SWB too!
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

Great 1st post! Welcome.

I agree, the 2.7RS is one of the best balanced 911s Porsche ever made - the perfect blend of looks, sounds, smells, and feel.

(mildly tweaked 2.4S here)
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thumbs up

I absolutely agree…

As my first RS drive some years ago I had the pleasure of driving Stephen Childs’ low mileage time capsule white/blue ‘Sicilian’ RS…
    It was simply a well balanced dream….
    At that point I finally got it… and understood what all the 1973 international buzz was all about….

Cheers and welcome to the board....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

member #1515
    Chuck, your car is pretty much has the same spec as an RS. Were there any detectable differences between your car an a "real" RS?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your first post and, of course, I agree completely with your assessment of the Carrera driving experience.

And now, as you have found, you are ruined by driving the best of breed. Seems to me you are on the right tract with your thoughts as to what car you should pursue. If your budget allows I would encourage you to look for a non-tribute car, instead focusing on a Carrera 2.7 or a 2.4S. Let us know what you find along the way and what you end up with. I certainly envy your driving experience in CH.
    Last edited by fryardds; 06-15-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I've been fortunate to own two '73S cars...one with a 2.7RS engine. I think the differences between the 2.7RS and the '73S are only the difference the 2.7RS engine has in torque over the 2.4S engine. The suspensions are the same. The gearing is the same. Cams, redline,weight, (touring) valve sizes and compression are the same between these cars. But the additional torque of the 2.7L engine over the 2.4L engine is very noticable...and makes for a great driving experience. My '73 2.4L S comes up on it's cams about 5K rpm and pushes me back into the seat and it screams all the way from 5,000 to it's 7,300 redline. My '73S with the 2.7L RS motor was noticably stronger. It didn't have quite the same feel as it came up on the S cams as the 2.4S because due to it's larger dispacement it was already making huge seat of the pants power before it hit the 5,000 rpm point. So...my two cents: Both the 2.4L '73S and the 2.7L '73RS are great drivers...but I'll give the performance nod to the 2.7L RS (no surprise.)

Thumbs up

Thoughts:

Before I drove an RS I raced one in a straight line when my car was still a stock high mileage but well running 2.4S. I went off a stop light with my friend Greg G. in his white/green #505 and we both hit it at middle of 2nd gear. I have to say it was 'text book' all the way to the very top of 4th and a little piece of 5th. Our cars were together until the upper end of 3rd, then slowly and inexorably the RS started pulling away with it's torque, weight, and gearing exactly like the graphs in the books....... it was amazingly predictable.

By the time I drove Stephens white/blue RS my car was already converted to a 2.7RS+ spec and always had a pretty aggressive suspension set up. My take on driving his RS was it was like driving the essence, the rendered version, the root of my hot rod. The RS had a stock stance and rather small street radials but performed amazingly. You did everything from the finger tips and toes, the car was totally intuitive. It ran, steered, cornered, and braked in total balance and harmony without any one thing performing better then the other.... my car might have been faster and handle flatter but with what sacrifice? Out of the box the RS sacrifices NOTHING in it's balanced performance....

Again, no wonder the 1973 world press went nuts when they got their hands on these spectacular cars.

... my .02

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Schnellman,

Welcome to the world of RS 'tragics' - You have started at the top(as Brian says) and now there is nothing that even comes close !
    You are also fortunate that where you live is ideal - a few hills to climb enthusiastically and over the German border for a few straight roads to test your speedo readings !
    Make sure the RS you get is black - my favourite RS colour !

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44