Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 901 pivot point for clutch release arm?

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar

901 pivot point for clutch release arm?

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the screw in pivot for a 911 and a 912? I removed my original 901/0 and installed a 901/2 from a 912. I swapped over a bunch of items including the release arm and the throwout bearing. I did not transfer the pivot point from the 901/0 to the 901/2. The problem I am having is I'm running out of throw to get the correct adjustment. By increasing the adjustment, I am merely adding pre-load of the clutch with no change of the clutch engagement point. Thanks for the help, I thought I would ask before removing the engine/trans.
    For reference, 1965 911 with a 2.4 (original engine/trans safely tucked away for the future restoration)

I don't know exactly what parts you are using (flywheel,clutch PP, bearing etc...) But you can raise the "pivot point" (ball stud) with shims (not too much) but a small amount will make a difference in the amount of throw.
    1970 911E coupe
    1979 930 Coupe US
    1978 930 Coupe Euro
    1980 911SC sport
    1969 911S Coupe Euro
    1971 914-4 1.7

Was the bushing in the arm ok? Are you running out of threaded adjustment? They orginally had a specific nut that had a long tube attached that gave you more room for adjustment I have found this to be missing on a few cars in the past
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Thanks gents! I assumed I should be able to shim up the pivot however I could not find any reference in my Porsche shop manual. I think shimming the pivot will resolve all of this. What would have required the pivot to be shimmed? Prior owner re-surfacing the flywheel?
    Tony, I do have the special nut but I run out of throw before I run out of adjustment.

Christian,

I am also using a 901/02 with a 911 motor. Interestingly, i do not have enough throw either. It's barely noticeable, but makes itself known when i come to a complete stop and then shift into reverse (no synchro in reverse). I was about to make another adjustement but this is the first I've heard about a different pivot point.

I'll be watching here for more answers so thanks for posting.

Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Mike
    That is my issue as well. The clutch lets out right the top and no way for reverse without grinding the gears. The adjustment was at a different location on the cable with the 901 I removed which is how I arrived at the pivot being the issue. I plan to remove the engine/tans soon.

Boy would I sure love to hear from Ed or Marco about their thoughts on this....

Pivot Point

Are you referring to item #2? Not sure what you mean by adjustment vs. throw . . . can you tell more?
    By the way . . . lots of good info on this topic over at pelican.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TEC69E; 06-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Hi Tom
    Yes,#2. Regardless of where you have the adjustment, the clutch will not disenage enough to choose reverse without grinding. I just found a great post from Pelican. Thanks.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...pe-clutch.html
    Last edited by Christian Guthrie; 06-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Christian, Yes I learned a lot from that thread too (lol). It turns out I installed the throwout bearing without installing the shims (#6) . . . that was the cause of my problem. In addition, my flywheel was just fine (even after it was resurfaced) . . . my machinist has been on my xmas card list ever since. Hope you find the solution to your adjustment issue soon. Regards, Tom
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy