Thread: Running oil line question

Running oil line question

I am having my shop add an oil cooler in the front of my '73 2.7. They are a race shop who work mostly with the newer models and the owner does not like (nor do I) the look of the available kits where the fat braded lines (he will use a more narrow line) show on the side of the car.

He has a good idea of where the cooler will mount in the front, but is trying to decide how to get the lines run so they don't show and will be safe. We do not want to run them through the interior.

Anyone have experience with this?

Why not use the factory style brass hard lines, or the Elephant Racing copy. Elephant lines have small fins, sort of like the line was threaded, but painted black, as were the originals, their lines look the same as the originals which were bracketed up against the rocker and safe from anything other than a goof who thought they were jacking points! To get the same I.D. as the factory hard lines the braided hose has to have a much bigger O.D. and look wrong!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Oil Line

I used lines and a thermostat from an SC and a radiator from a later model. The lines look pretty clean if they are mounted the correct way. If maximum cooling isnt a necessity I think they hide better than the elephant lines.

Best,

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok...good tips. Thank you both!!

Oil lines

OR you could take the "long way around the block" approach as Porsche did in the 911R and the 1969 S. Inside the body work - rocker panel. Not very economical but if the driver has the history of having an "Experimental, Agicurtural and sometimes Novel" line around corners and corner curbing, it puts it out of harms way. And as a byproduct it can't get jacked on.

Something like this:
    (The line on the floor has a hose -where the front cooler would be- just to pressure test the lines.)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370