Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for swb rear a arm bushing install info

Looking for swb rear a arm bushing install info

I can find 68 and later videos on front bushing replacement. I'm looking for a thread on 65-67 bushing replacement.
    Chris

The rear A Arm bush on the 65-57 car uses a Fanbloc which is a metalastic type bonded bush.

The quite often fall apart as the rubber outer and inner sleeve stays on the arm and in the crossmember.

The last time I checked they were around $300 each from Porsche but I am sure I read a thread where someone refurbishes them and bonds a new rubber into the existing steel parts.

It is interesting that the manual says that Fanblocs can't be removed and that the entire arm needs changing

and then on the next page explains how to replace this part.

Last edited by chris_seven; 07-02-2012 at 05:41 AM.

There is a UK solution - not sure where you are.

Normally when you dismantle these arms from the crossmember the thicker metal sleeve attaches to the the A arm, and the thinner metal sleeve stays in the crossmember. Leave them there, then contact Chris at Fennlane Motorsport

http://www.imptechnic.co.uk/contact/index.html

He will then sell you the appropriately sized thermal plastic bush that can be fitted into the gap. If the outer, thinner sleeve comes out, no problem, he has ones that fit that as well. Can't remember the exact cost but circa 30$ a side.

Worked a treat on my swb.

Mick

Hi,

I can't remember off hand how much the fanbloc's are but we buy them for restos and I am sure I did not pay $300. Or on other cars where originality is not 100% required we machine a standard bush to fit -67. Works perfectly, but then you do need the right equipment. Prob done this 10 times with no issues.

HTH

Alan

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2582

Currently available from Stoddard at $293.47 each

Yep, the blue bush in Alan's photo is what Fennlane sell. By far the easiest and cheapest way to replace the Fanbloc bush if originality is not your first concern.

Mick

I think that the Blue Bush is a Superpro PU bush.

The bushes that we make, and that Mick has fitted, are a rigid High Impact Bearing Grade Polymer. They have much lower friction than PU and work well without any grease.

We have been making them for about 3 years now and have installed them on quite a number of cars and they seem to work well.

Hope im not hi jacking this thread, if so, let me know!

I am also in the process of replacing the rear A-arm bushings, mine is a 65 produced 66, the original bushings have a metal sleeve , i managed to heat away the original rubber from the sleeve and bought "SMC.711.120.55 Front Control Arm Bushing Set (65-89)" from Sierra madre collection. (seems like they are NLA)

I pressed the bushings into the two metal sleeves but the fit seems a bit off (loose)...?

The front ones should be "ok" but will I have to buy new ones for the rear?
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

I had a look at SMC's website and I can't find the part number you have bought - do you have a link?

There are several different bushes available.

SMC List a Rubber Bush set for the 69-89 car and these are simple slip-in bushes - They have no radial compression when installed and will not provide the same characteristics as the original bushes. There is a very critical piece about this type of bush on the Elephant Racing Website.

The Rear Bush will be the wrong size to suit the 65-67 car, hence it seems loose and will not maintain the correct steering alignment. Even if they were the correct size the lack of radial compression influences both the static and dynamic stiffness of the bush and this will influence steering quality and noise transmission.

SMC also seem to sell a Poly Graphite Bush Set - possibly Weltmeister- and again the rear bush will not be the correct size.

Super Pro and Powerflex also make a set of PU bushes to suit 69-89 cars and again the rear bush will be incorrect.

If you have the steel sleeves it is possible to machine the PU bushes to fit the steel sleeves. I would admit to not liking PU bushes and never use them.

The best solution, unless you are building a race car, is to fit 914.341.422.00 to the front of the control arm (SMC have these for $18.00 each) and 901.341.421.03 to the rear. SMC's price at $250 is very good compared to Stoddard.

The high price of the Fanbloc and a dislike of PU bushes led us to develop the more rigid bushes we use in this location.

We originally selected the material we use to suit race cars where a little more transmitted noise was unimportant.

However, when one of these bushes is combined with 914.341.422.00 on the front of the arm we have found that there is no noticeable change in ride or harshnes but if, as Mick says, you want absolute originality I would fit the Fanbloc.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 07-04-2012 at 02:22 AM.