Thread: Most wonderful drive yesterday

Most wonderful drive yesterday

The big storm that wreaked havoc in eastern NJ was a great opportunity to Banzi around the Pine Barrens yesterday. I had a close friend in Mays Landing loose a dozen trees on his property and two that landed on his house. When I found out, I wanted to visit and make sure he waited for a contractor and wasn't on his roof in 100 degree heat with a chainsaw...

As it turned out most traffic lights were extinguished and police had bigger fish to fry than manning speed traps.

I was so happy I was alone. I had recently sorted out the Webers and the electrical gremlins from my car sitting in the restoration shop. A remanufactured Bosch alternator and NOS Bosch (obey the gold sticker) voltage regulator cured my charging problems. When I installed the alternator I polished every ground strap and wire and also installed a new top fuse holder and 19 pure brass and copper ceramic fuses. Now ALL my fuses run cool and all electrics function correctly!

I ran around downed trees and precariously positioned limbs on power lines at every turn. Triple digit speeds were the order of the day and I was passing cars with reckless abandon. At one point I needed to slow to a crawl because there was a downed tree blocking my lane. As I made my way around the debris there he WAS.

A lone patrol car I couldn't see was right in front of me as I strolled by at 30 or so MPH.

It was 99 degrees F and my oil temp rose to 100C and stayed there during several wide open runs. I was thinking about the heat and my old tires so I held it below 125.

An overhead tree canopy winding Pine Barrens road with no traffic, a '69 2 liter screaming for more and no curfew-

It doesn't get much better than THAT!

I love cruising with the folks- But a solo Banzai ride is really why I bought the Dream!
    Last edited by G69; 07-02-2012 at 08:13 AM.