Thread: vin location

vin location

hi im new and have a question im trying to locate a vin on my 66 911 the metal stamp in the trunk is gone and the stamp next to the gas tank has been cut out it use to be a race car.what other places on the body might i find a vin . I want to eventually want to have the car verified by dmv and get it registered thanks rob

Can you post some pictures?

BTW if it doesn't have a VIN and you are new to this, how do you know it's a 66? It might be a 64, 65, 67 or may be 68.

RIchard

Doen't this mean that there will potentially be two cars with the same VIN - could be fun one day!

There may be a number on the fascia under the radio.

There also may be a number on the back of the tunnel near to the gear coupler cover.

If it were a '64 would the engine lid slam panel be flat and not have the pressings for the 'information stickers'?

From his post on the Pelican, it seems as though he has the VIN plate and stamp and is looking for another. Hmmm? I am a sceptic.
    1966 911
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

old softie67S
    If you have the plate and vin # and want to confirm it is indeed to the vehicle, the dash location mentioned above is good advise. You can also take off the door panels and might find the last three digits of the vin if the doors are original to the chassis. If both doors have the same number, it is a good indication the doors are mostlikely original and you have a good idication of the vin #.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

The headlamp buckets may also have the last 3 digits, if they have survived.