Thread: 1970 911S ignition cylinder comes out in my hand!

1970 911S ignition cylinder comes out in my hand!

Hi everyone!
    I've recently rejoined the Registry after a multi-year hiatus. Raising kids will do that to you.
    I have a Mexico Blue 1970 911S that has a strange problem: when I take the key out of the ignition, the whole ignition cylinder comes out with it!

Is there something simple like a missing set screw that I can buy or do I have to resort to a Porsche mechanic to solve the problem? I only have the Haynes manual so that is pretty much useless for something like this. If someone has the shop manuals maybye there is an exploded view you could scan and send me.

I appreciate any help or advice I can get!

An even stranger problem is how I got the car: I got it from someone that had no idea what they had on their hands. It was only advertised in the local classifieds and they desperately needed to make room in their garage for an El Camino. Nothing against you El Camino fans out there but I hope this true story makes you smile. I got it for a great price too, btw...
    thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jsavage; 07-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.

The whole cylinder comes out even though you have the round cap over it?
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Yes sir, that is the situation!

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-12-2017, 11:23 PM
  2. WTB: Heat and Hand Throttle Levers (1970 911)
    By lexatola in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM
  3. FS: 1970-73 911S cylinder heads, matched set of genuine S heads
    By VintageExcellen in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
  4. FS: 1970? Ignition Cylinder/Lock assembly
    By greggearhead in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
  5. WTB ignition switch cylinder for 72 911