Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Spring on transmission and throw out arm

Clutch Spring on transmission and throw out arm

Hello all,

My clutch pedal is on the floor, and the spring on the pedal assembly is correctly placed as on other threads posted here.

In the workshop manual, there is a spring between the throw out bearing arm and the transmission, see the photo here. It is hard to see the spring, but there is one by the page number on the lower right. You have to click on the .pdf to see the shop manual, as the only photo is my pedal assembly.

My PET does not have a part number, and Stoddard cannot find the part either. Can someone point out the part number and where to get one? The alternative is to have the clutch on the friction point all the time, and that is not good.

Thanks in advance, Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You are ok. The pedal is spring biased to the floor. When the cable is connected, the spring keeps the cable taut so that the thow out bearing stays properly engaged, but not so taut that it causes clutch wear.
    Last edited by M_deJong; 07-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Hi Mike,

I forgot to say the car is a 1967 911 with a 901 gearbox. So is your response to a 915 gearbox? Isn't that clutch a different type with push and not pull like a 901? The service manual has a spring, so, and I cannot see it on the PET. But to have the clutch pedal "droop" and not being at the pedal stop. I have to think the pedal should be at the top before I depress the clutch pedal, or wear will occur.

Thanks for responding, I am just confused.

Tom

The same pedal cluster was used with all three transmissions 901 911 915. The pedal spring takes up cable slack but is not strong enough to cause wear, despite the clutch pedal's alacrity in hitting the floor!

What's not clear in the manual is that freeplay is determined by pulling outward on the pedal, against the spring that's trying to drive the pedal to the floor.

Edit... Ok, I see the little spring in the picture now. Not sure what its for or why they deleted it. My guess is its to keep the fork engaged with the ball and throwout bearing when the clutch cable is removed. Doesn't seem substantial enough to do much more. Looks like we need a lesson from Ed Mayo to be sure.
    Last edited by M_deJong; 07-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by red911 View Post
    Hi Mike,

I forgot to say the car is a 1967 911 with a 901 gearbox. So is your response to a 915 gearbox? Isn't that clutch a different type with push and not pull like a 901? The service manual has a spring, so, and I cannot see it on the PET. But to have the clutch pedal "droop" and not being at the pedal stop. I have to think the pedal should be at the top before I depress the clutch pedal, or wear will occur.

Thanks for responding, I am just confused.

Tom

The spring on the T/O arm was only used in 65/66. I don't know why Porsche dropped it in 67 but they did. Your car did not come with it.

Regards

Jim
    www.easypor.com

Hi Ed,

I've been helping Tom with this. Check Section 3 Transmission of the Porsche Spare Parts book. The first illustration on 3/1 item #8 is the clutch return spring that Tom is talking about. Part # 901.116.081.02. There is also a hole in the clutch release arm for the spring.

Nothing shows up entering the number on the Stoddard search engine. Google that number and you can buy a $27 clutch release bearing for your SWB 911/912 from a number of vendors. Stoddard release bearing is $141 and the pn: 901.116.081.11 which is more plausible.

Others?

Here's a photo of that spring in action on Ol' Blue ('67 912). It's a two-owner car.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    The spring on the T/O arm was only used in 65/66. I don't know why Porsche dropped it in 67 but they did. Your car did not come with it.

Regards

Jim
    www.easypor.com
    Hi Jim,

You, a junior member? Nice to see you in this sandbox.

Ol' Blue ('67 912) is Dec. 1966 according to the COA.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    Hi Jim,

You, a junior member? Nice to see you in this sandbox.

Ol' Blue ('67 912) is Dec. 1966 according to the COA.
    Hi Neil

Yup, Junior Member. Don't regard a thing I have to say. I don't have a shred of credibility, having only 8 posts.

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Hi Neil

Yup, Junior Member. Don't regard a thing I have to say. I don't have a shred of credibility, having only 8 posts.

Ciao

Jim
    Hi Jim,

I was composing my note and loading up the pic when you posted yours. Now you have nine posts and will soon be a Senior Member (10 or more?). I had hoped to do a cross-country drive in Ol' Blue this summer and meet both you and Alan. Other issues popped up so it couldn't happen. Another time!

Best to you and your family and my very best regards to Alan. His engine in Ol' Ivory is running great! Talk with you soon,
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

The parts book agrees with Jim and shows the spring on the release arm was used until 305100. The spring on the pedal assy starts at 305101.
    No real world experience, just the parts book info. Looks like if you have a spring on the pedal assy, you don't have one on the TO arm.
    912 shows different info BTW.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 07-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.