Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior restoration: What would YOU do ?

Interior restoration: What would YOU do ?

Well, as Robert Gross works away on the engine and body, I was able to grab some of the interior and bring it home on a recent trip to Toronto. As you can see, it needs some cleaning up, but isn't horrible. The interior is all original except for (1) a late 70's or early 80's OEM dash with the integrated speaker grill (fits perfectly unlike the more recent versions) and (2) the seats (early 80's vintage Recaros which I sold). The shift knob is original, but only 2, 4 and R are still visible under the crackled plastic clear button on the knob. The dash is original. This was a radio delete car (no speaker in the dash an no mounting clips for a speaker), but someone installed a DIN style radio and speakers (putting Sony Speakers in the two front map pockets as you can see). Belts, receivers etc. all original. Carpets and mats original, but in the trash now. No hope for them. Missing the seat bottoms of the rear seats.

Car is going back to its original light ivory.

I have acquired seats from another 911S. These are touring seats wit headrests and will need recovering at the very least, possibly reupholstering. Will need to blast the rails and recliners and powder coat or repaint, but they are in good shape nonetheless.

Most of the interior black vinyl is still good. Just needs the mildew scrubbed off. The rear back wall piece could use replacement on the parcel part. Some of the cardboard in various pieces (left door card) is broken and will need to be replaced. The rear door pockets are missing and will need to be replaced. The visors need restuffing, so they will need to come apart. Headliner (was black, but should be ivory) was completely dry rotted.

So the questions are
    (1) would you keep as much of the existing interior vinyl knowing that bits and pieces have to be replaced or would you just replace it all with a new covering so everything is consistent in shade and texture ? If so, whose material and what colour code would you use ? Close up picture also included.
    (2) Who do people like for the seat coverings ?
    (3) What card stock to people use for the door cards etc ?
    (4) PET indicates perlon velour. Was this black or salt and pepper ? Suggested sources ?
    (5) Would you replace the dash (which is perfect, feels good and has the right texture), but is not the original style with an original which might have the usual hairline crack (or certainly will at some point) ?

I may just have Robert source all this and install myself, or I might look around at the various supply houses. But the key thing is do I attempt to match things as best I can, or do I just replace all the surfaces with a consistent material that matches seats, doors etc. ? The carpet is easy, as there is nothing left to match, but the vinyl is a conundrum.

Thoughts ?

Ravi
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You ask some good questions...

What's your end goal with the car? Show, drive, garage queen, etc?

Personally I would try to retain as much of the original interior as possible but it will probably contrast with the new carpet and redone seats. Could you live with that?
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

You can get a kit to recover the rear parcel shelf from Autos International it consists for 3 peices of correct textured vinyl with foam and hardware for around $100.

R Gruppe #631
    Early 911S Registry #1825

1973E Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    You ask some good questions...

What's your end goal with the car? Show, drive, garage queen, etc?

Personally I would try to retain as much of the original interior as possible but it will probably contrast with the new carpet and redone seats. Could you live with that?
    Drive. From the day the snow is off the roads till the time it comes back. Considering selling my motorcycle to ensure that I do so. My objective is to build a car that reflects what caring owners would have done over 40 years of ownership, taking it to a dealer for service. Not a 100 point car, but one with some history and period correct bits wherever possible. Hence adding a Becker Europa and under dash speaker where none existed from the factory or dealer....but removing the crappy Clarion head unit and Sony speakers. Removing the 7/84 Momo steering wheel and looking for the right 73 wheel. But not obsessing if the plating on a screw should be clear or yellow zinc coated.

So OEM parts first. Used OEM second. Reproduction or alternate OEM (e.g. Behr for Behr) last.

Mechanical correctness and reliability are the first priorities. But of course the interior is in my face all the time. Do I replace 100% of the vinyl because 20% of it actually needs it (pockets, rear shelf) ?. Most of the cardboard needs replacing. If not for looks, then for the smell of musty barn and mouse urine. It was quite a treat driving home with this stuff in my pristine RS4 on the hottest day of the year and smelling 40 years of human and mouse and mould secretions. If nothing else, I would replace all the cardboard in addition to the 20% vinyl that needs to go.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.

shag carpet is always nice for the 70's
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Oh dear .... when I bought the 65 in 1972, it had what someone told me was "short-shag automotive carpeting" Needless to say that went out of the car real quickly!

Haasman

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    shag carpet is always nice for the 70's
    German or American shag ? Makes me wish I had kept the blue, green and red shag carpets from our first house...not.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I forgot about the mice that resided in your car for awhile... That would change my perspective on interior originality...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The '72-'73 cars went to a different vinyl with a coarser grain and dull lustre compared to the stuff that ran from 60s 356s up through '71. If you get into details the map pockets, the vacuum formed dash, sills, and...that narrow horizontal piece across the rear bulkhead/package shelf all match the early stuff. Why? Who knows. The early black is still available as a German product and there is a domestic product that VERY closely matches the later '72 on stuff.

The front map pockets are just covered with the old stuff...you can peel it off, patch the damned speaker holes, recover the outside and re-flock the insides. The rear flippers are the same basic construction, but get distorted by moisture over the years, especially if the door had been molested by a shop that didn't replace the moisture barrier. You can carefully pry off the aluminum trim and King of Trim can polish and re-brite dip, recover, re-flock. That may still be cheaper than buying the nice new repros....the key is whether they are all distorted.

The radio opening is simply a slide in panel covered with the later vinyl. You can make and recover a new radio plate with 21 guage sheet metal and fitting t the sloted brite channels.

Tony Garcia, Autobahn has the right materials, and Eric Lindon has houndstooth if you are so inclined.

Carpet: the original perlon "fuzz" is still available all-be-it thinner. The grey Hargan velour, early S cars, is also still available (Tony again), but the original tan, brown, or red, velour is not available, and at concour level, nothing is close...people claim there is a MBZ wool that is good....NOT! But it's all there is.

Some patience and handi work will get it right without spending any more...been there, done it.
    Last edited by smedley; 07-08-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional info
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

So as to not hi-jack Ravi's thread, here are my answers to your questions-

(1) would you keep as much of the existing interior vinyl knowing that bits and pieces have to be replaced or would you just replace it all with a new covering so everything is consistent in shade and texture ?
    I would replace the interior or bring it up to the same consistenancy- both in look and feel. I use the “If I were buying the car ….I would …” test.

(2) If so, whose material and what colour code would you use ? Close up picture also included.
    I would check the COA and use that to make my decision. If the same color I would go for the best presenting, quality look.

(3) Who do people like for the seat coverings ?
    Autobahn Interiors out in San Diego, CA. www.autobahninteriors.com are good. Even great to ask some of your questions to.

(4) What card stock to people use for the door cards etc ? For panel backing?
    Good question. I haven't reached this point in my restoration but would good to hear from the pros.

(5) PET indicates perlon velour. Was this black or salt and pepper ? Suggested sources ?
    Ask A I but my understanding is the material appears as a salt n pepper, not an all black. Grey if you will.

(5) Would you replace the dash (which is perfect, feels good and has the right texture), but is not the original style with an original which might have the usual hairline crack (or certainly will at some point) ?
    Another good question- I think a really good replacement is better than an original cracked dash. But others may disagree.

I also think that the reply asking you what your intention is for your car. If you want it to be absolutely stock original, you have to go the the specific materials.

Haasman