Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 911 raced .... 1964? Where? When? Pictures?

First 911 raced .... 1964? Where? When? Pictures?

Hi guys,

Doing some research to see if we can help reclassify our early 911's here in Australia from a racing perspective.

Simply, we need to see if there were any of the early 1964 cars that were raced in 1964. Doesn't matter where, when, by whom, if it won, lost or DNF. We all know about 1965, but 1964 is the key here!

Preferably we need a picture or a race schedule to show that it was entered and the date.

Any of the historians among the group, please chime in!

Thanks in advance.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

The best I can do is to offer the attached photios of this '64 with history-placard which was posted with the car at Rennsport Reunion IV in October 2011.......... I think you'll find it quite significant.

This car and similar pictures were featured on page 134 of last year's " Porsche Picture of the Day " thread - Sorry, no Serial number available.

Cheer,

JZG

I have edited this post to include a hopefully more legible image of the placard that accompanied this car at RR IV. If you cannot read it I'd be happy to copy the text and re-post.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-10-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    Awesome!!!

According to information I have , 901/911's were not officially homologated to race until Jan. 1 , 1965.

1964 car , 300 005 was road registered Jan. 11 , 1965 as S-UV 333 (owner: Porsche KG). Less than one week later it was running the 1965 Monte Carlo.

1964 Race cars

Hello Alex,
    there were just a few 1964 911 cars that were eventually involved in racing venues. They fall into two categories Factory and Privateers with the subdivision of raced in the day or raced since.

First and foremost the limited number of cars - 232 made in the last four months in 1964 - were the roll out of a new car and were a precious commodity to the dealers, media (newspapers and magazines) and new owners. The first cars were rationed to the markets of greater importance to sales with a few sold to special friends of the factory. Some were the display cars for the auto shows, magazines and driver testing. Except for the factory cars, those demonstrator and test cars appear to be the first to be used as racers - but only after they had preformed a new car introduction function.

The 904 and 356 Carrera 4 cam were carrying the load for racing activity. The factories focus for the fresh 911 was to start with rally events.

By the numbers:
    Factory Cars.
    Prototype 13 325 Tour de France. September 1964, drivers von Hastein and Edgar Barth.
    Prototype 13 328 Training car for the Tour de France. August 1964.
    The whereabouts of these cars is unknown.

300002 is the first serial numbered car to be mentioned. It was the training car for 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, Targa Florio and Nurburgring Races.
    This signal red car is unknown today.

300055, Signal Red, Monte Carlo Rally car. Factory prepped in 1964 for the January 1965 Rally event. (peekaboo - you are correct according to my info also - poster image above in peekaboo's post). Special engine, 160hp, Weber carbs, LSD and special geared transmission. Finished 2nd in class (first was the 904) fifth over all from 273 entries. The first 911 to be recognized as entered in international competition. Original car is unknown to us today. (Very accurate Tribute car was seen at Rennsport Reunion IV in 2011 built on a sister 232 car #300149).

Privateer Racers
    300024, earliest privateer race car as well as the first Swedish car, having been ordered by Le Mans racer Bo Strandell. Adam Richardson's car with a long racing history is currently being raced in England and Europe. Active at Goodwood and Classic Le Mans. (Race car #62 below)

300 032 This car was bootleged around normal channels by Leo Rapp thru Germany's Max Moritz Motors to be the first 911 on the west coast in the USA by being Air Freighted to California. Used as a demonstrator for about a year and turned into a racer by Jim Wellington. Dean Watts recommissioned the car in 1987 and has effectively raced for three decades in the USA, Europe's Nurburgring, Spa and Tour de France. Foray's includes pole position at Imola .... in the wet. Dean pleasantly surprised the Quail Lodge Porsche Race Car Classic with this stunning 901, still racing and winning since 1966. (Race car #37 below)

300039, First car sold into Finland in 1965. Rally car in Europe. Janne Laitinen prep'ed this old rally car to race in VARA during the 1990's in the USA and now resides in Finland to race there. (Race car #148 below)

300122 A current FIA racer was built out to a race car sometime in the 1990/2000's.

300128 (This is the black Daytona car that JZG posted the display card above). Shipped to Florida's Brumos in December 1964 as the first 911 on the east coast.
    Distributor demonstrator for 30K mile it was sold to Jack Ryan. Raced at Daytona and the southern USA until sold to Steve Boesel in February 1968, raced then stored in his Ohio collection until it's retrieval by Phil Bagley. Restored by Kevin Jeannette for presentation to the world and new owner Christian Zugel at Rennsport Reunion IV. It is the first FIA winning 911. (Race car #18 below)

300149 (This is the car in my avitar) PCA Porsche club raced for 8 years. I have track driven it on California's Riverside Raceway and recently Laguna Seca, and raced at Road America, Heartland Park, Mid Ohio, Mosport in Canada, and the home track Brainerd International (on which it still holds a track record). It has since been retired to daily driving -- having been driven to complete 400K miles on last falls return from Monterey. This is the car that was pressed into service as the Tribute to the Monte Carlo Rally car. (Race car #65 and #147 Tribute in the following post)

300241 (Yes this is a 232 car built in 1964) Sold thru Fleischhauer Koln Western Germany in December 1964 to the Main Belgium Porsche Concessionaires D'Ieteren. It is believed to have been a race car from the outset. (Silver car in the next post)

If you have information on 232 cars other than these - Please - Please contact me.

humbly submitted for your review.....
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Photos of 1964 cars

here are the other photos of the 1964 cars:

300149 as raced and as the Tribute to the Monte Carlo Car.

300241 As Kevin Morfett found the car.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Hello Alex,
    there were just a few 1964 911 cars that were eventually involved in racing venues. They fall into two categories Factory and Privateers with the subdivision of raced in the day or raced since.

300 032 This car was bootleged around normal channels by Leo Rapp thru Germany's Max Moritz Motors to be the first 911 on the west coast in the USA by being Air Freighted to California. Used as a demonstrator for about a year and turned into a racer by Jim Wellington. Dean Watts recommissioned the car in 1987 and has effectively raced for three decades in the USA, Europe's Nurburgring, Spa and Tour de France. Foray's includes pole position at Imola .... in the wet. Dean pleasantly surprised the Quail Lodge Porsche Race Car Classic with this stunning 901, still racing and winning since 1966. (Race car #37 below)
    I had completely forgotten that this rare specimen actually lives in the northern Cal/Nev area and is a frequent participant in local vintage events, wearing number 33 these days. I take photos every time I see it at one of the local tracks. Please note that it indeed is one of the batch of earliest cars, as the first run of 901s that did not have the indents for the maintenance decals in the rear cross member ( rear latch bearing panel ). Those only came in the '65 MY.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

thank you guys.

So it seems that any 'major' races and rallies the cars were not homologated for yet, but maybe there were some smaller races in Europe that may have not been covered in snow?

Knowing now that the first East Coast car went to Brumos, and that it races in 65, Europe seems our only last hope...

Anyone else with more details it would be great.

Thanks again to all for their historical additions!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post

By the numbers:
    Factory Cars.
    Prototype 13 325 Tour de France. September 1964, drivers von Hastein and Edgar Barth.
    Prototype 13 328 Training car for the Tour de France. August 1964.
    The whereabouts of these cars is unknown.

Bob
    Great Summary of these cars (and great Pic of your car as well)
    on the two prototypes here is a picture that i believe is of 13 325
    Name:  New Picture (1).png
Views: 529
Size:  296.1 KB

The Aichele book records the car as being destroyed on December 7 1965 at 76,100km from drop testing after an accident during automatic transmission testing.

on 13 328 it records it as being sold on April 18 1968

Alex

I think that the only cars i suspect that could have been in competition before December 31 1964 (is this a CAMS rules / category thing??) are likely to be the prototypes.

Achiele lists all the "career highlights" of the prototypes which he probably got from Porsche archives.
    the only one of interest is 13 328 which is recorded as doing Alpine Trials (rally) with Herbert Linge on august 20 1964. I am not sure of the status of that event, if indeed it was an official event, or the status of the car if it was an official event. You could check with your contacts though.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh, amazing photo!!

Yes it is surrounding CAMS and the eligibility of 911's. What is know of early 1965 events, being 'race' and not 'rally'. We may be able to use those events knowing the cars were produced in 64. Could be 901 or 911's, and competition could be anywhere in the world!

Thanks again.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD