Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filler Pipe

Fuel Filler Pipe

Neighbors,

I'm restoring a very early '68. I have stripped the fuel filler pipe that came with the car (separately, in a box), because I wanted to powder coat it.

What is the proper color for the fuel filler neck? black satin, matte, or flat?

Also, does the fuel filler have the little 'overflow' tube on the side?

also, does the '68 have the filler flap to protect the paint?

thank you.

ms

Satin black.

Early cars up through '71 had no side breather tube...the simple factory fix was a loop welded inside the filler just below the cap. When you filled the car you put the fuel pump nozzle into that loop and it allowed air toe escape. The over flow was left to the rubber down tube running down rear closing panel of left front fender well from the bottom of the big conical rubber gas filler gasket.

'68s did have a rubber/fabric flap........grey or grey side/yellow side
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

This is great. THANKS!

is the correct color of the filler pipe satin black?

thanks, again.

As per my 1st note, yes. Satin black.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

don't know how i missed that.

sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Satin black.

Early cars up through '71 had no side breather tube...the simple factory fix was a loop welded inside the filler just below the cap. When you filled the car you put the fuel pump nozzle into that loop and it allowed air toe escape. The over flow was left to the rubber down tube running down rear closing panel of left front fender well from the bottom of the big conical rubber gas filler gasket.

'68s did have a rubber/fabric flap........grey or grey side/yellow side
    Looked like this - just replaced mine

and the pipe is connected by a small metal ferrule - i had to make one - you can see it in the bottom of the filler shroud

Mick

This is extremely helpful. Thanks, everyone!

Could someone identify the preferred procedure for installing a fuel filler neck? Do you put the rubber shroud on the pipe first, or put the shroud on the inner fender?

Use some silicone spray or rubber dressing, make sure warm and soft.

Fit that nasty metal ring into the rubber cone first and use the rubber to compress the spring while fitting the shroud to the fender groove..

Then using plastic tools fit the inner part to the trunk wall...pushing and prying. If you try to fit the shroud first and then put in the ring...you will probably scratch or chip the edge of the filler and use up all you profanity for a week!

Then, repeat then, you can slide and twist the filler neck through the inner opening....again, use some lubricant .

It's all very tight.....the worst is the spring ring....go slowly....you have to get the ends of that ring to overlap to get it to fit and using the rubber shroud as a "glove" over the ring helps to hold and compress it.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Thanks Mark. That was the path i was on, but getting the filler neck started through the hole in the trunk wall looked like a challenge!