Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Rare NUMBERS MATCHING 1968 Porsche 911 S Coupe

Very Rare NUMBERS MATCHING 1968 Porsche 911 S Coupe

Very Rare NUMBERS MATCHING 1968 Porsche 911 S Coupe
    Serial Number: 11800002

Transmission Number: 4280003

Engine Number: 4080023

Paint Code: 97 6802 L

1968 was a year of transition for Porsche. Heightened safety regulations in the US barred import of the now legendary 911S. This being the case, only 1267 ‘S’ cars were produced in 1968-the fewest number of any year. Moreover, the fact that these cars were largely sold in Europe, means that very few have survived. The United States has inadvertently become the worlds safe-haven for preserving vintage cars. Since very few ever made it to the US, very few were preserved.

Being produced on July, 21 1967 this can be thought of as a pre-production car. Official production did not begin until August 1st- a full 10 days later. Whether or not it is a ‘prototype’ is mere conjecture considering its earliest history is unknown. I purchased this car from the second owner. He owned the car since 1970 and was unable to verify that it was registered before him. It was purchased in England from a dealer and brought to the US in 1974. Some of the features, however, call into question whether it was intended to be sold in any particular destination. It came from the factory as a LHD car with a MPH speedometer, and US headlights, yet the ‘S’ trim package is free from front bumper over-riders, safety flashers, or side marker lights. Most LHD countries use KM, so the MPH speedo is a mystery. The headlights were only used in the US, however if it was bound for the US, it would have included the added safety equipment. In addition the car never had a radio. (Note the lack of antenna and original cowskin dash void of a radio). This information coupled with the fact that this was the second ‘S’ produced for ’68 makes this very rare indeed.

As far as condition is concerned, I would consider this car a very nice survivor. The wheels are all date matched and original to the car. The gages are all date stamped and original to the car. There is absolutely zero rust anywhere on the car and all the panels appear to be original. The panel fit is flawless and the gaps are very clean. There is no evidence of accident or repair history that I can see. The exterior was repainted once in the original color of Polo Red in the 1990’s. The paint is showing signs of age including a few scratches, imperfections and a minor crack on the rear decklid, but overall it is very presentable. The Interior is mostly original apart from fresh carpet, seat covers, and headliner from Autos International. The original dash is perfect, as is the entirety of the consol. All gages work properly including the clock. All exterior lenses are original and in very nice condition and all exterior lights are fully functioning. The aluminum trim is very bright and free from excessive scratches as is the chrome trim. All the glass is original to the car and in nice condition apart from a couple scratches. All door locks are smooth with the original keys. The engine and 5 speed 901/02 transmission were both rebuilt with the past 5,000 miles and are very solid. The carburetors are freshly rebuilt and tuned and the car is running very nicely throughout the power curve. Additional recent services include, tires, solenoid, rear axels, battery, tires, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and spark pugs. There is a minor oil-leak at the main seal, but otherwise the engine is dry as a bone. The original heat exchangers have been replaced with high performance headers, however, the car came with a Webasto gas heater so a heating system is still present. Overall, this is the most solid, original, and rare 1968 911 ‘S’ in existence. Please ask any questions you may have. Clear title is in my name. International buyers are welcome.

$97,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_47444wt_1122
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by METAVINYL; 07-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Wow was I suprised when I opened this thread. I own chassis number 03. It is an unrestored car, finished in Polo Red with leather sport seats, sunroof, and factory rear speaker. It is so cool that these two cars were most likely going down the line together. They are very rare here indeed. Great car, good luck with the sale. I will check my paper work and see what the build and original sale date were, I think I have it.

Randy

Awesome! It's interesting how much more 'bare bones' mine is than yours. These early cars must have been built to some sort of spec to provide examples of each variant.

hi guys i own vin number 268 and my coa shows production date of 10th may "67. i can only assume the factory didnt produce the cars in numerical order . perhaps someone can shed some light on this .

This car was recently offered and sold by Carrera Motorsports, Tim Herman in N. Carolina for 60K BO. Quite a big mark up to 115K? I think for that kind of money the seller could have at least fixed the oil leak. It will be interesting to see where it goes on Ebay...
    Last edited by juche_namja; 07-18-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Restoration newbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by mo baig View Post
    hi guys i own vin number 268 and my coa shows production date of 10th may "67. i can only assume the factory didnt produce the cars in numerical order . perhaps someone can shed some light on this .
    10th May is firmly in the 67 MY. Perhaps the CoA guys got the numbers ass-backwards, I suggest your car was probably produced 5th-October-67 making it 67 production, 68 model year.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As I understand it, these cars were assigned VINs as the order was received and weren't necessarily built in sequential order.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 07-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.

yes and after the new buyer gets over the fact of ownership of a 911S, he will put it on E-Bay for 160,000. And so on and so on. Until only God will be buying. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    yes and after the new buyer gets over the fact of ownership of a 911S, he will put it on E-Bay for 160,000. And so on and so on. Until only God will be buying. Chris
    Well, since it sold in late May or early June, I'd say, "the fact of ownership" didn't last very long. I'd say 160K would be pushing it, unless that oil leak is finally fixed!
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

And, maybe some pilfered items along the way to the sale????

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...lls-911S-69-73
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....