Thread: The passing of our friend Nick Reed

The passing of our friend Nick Reed

From Gena and Nick's son, Dana:

Dear family & friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I share with you that my husband, Nicholas Rathbun Reed passed away yesterday morning, Thursday, July 19th, 2012 at 10:30 a.m. Nick had a love for life and wanted to be with his family and friends for many more years. But, he understood his situation better than most of us and lived the past two years fully. He was a great man, husband, father, relative and friend who will be sorely missed. We will be having a Celebration of Nick’s Life on Saturday, August 4th. More details will follow.

With love,

Gena & Dana Reed

The celebration will be held and Nick's shop Veloce Gruppe in Costa Mesa, CA.

Here are some of my memories of my friend:
    An Automotive Soul Mate
    (Memories of My Dear Friend Nick Reed)

There are only a few people who have crossed my path whom I would call true car friends. Yes, there are many car-enthusiast acquaintances whose company I share and enjoy; but, there are only a handful of people whose thoughts and opinions I value. Nick Reed was one of them. Unfortunately, he lost his valiant battle with cancer this week. However, his brave fight did give people like me (selfishly) more time to savor his friendship.
    His wife Gena reminded me how she associated car sounds with Nick. When they first met, it was the sound of his BMW 320 as he raced through her neighborhood. I can completely relate. At our shop, I could tell when Nick would pull up. Either the throaty sound of his BMW 3.0 CS or the popping of his hot rod 1973 911 3.0 Liter would be shortly followed by his beaming smile. With great curiosity, he would start checking out the toys in our inventory: opening doors, sitting in drivers? seats and gripping steering wheels. You could see in his eyes that he was taking the cars on a mental test drive. His enthusiasm for all things automotive was truly infectious. His optimism allowed him to find the inner beauty in almost any car, even if it was on its way to the crusher.
    I met Nick just over 10 years ago on the Orange County New Year?s Day drive. He was driving one of his pride and joys, a Colorado Orange 1967 BMW 1600 Alpina. He had a strong enthusiasm for spirited driving on the back roads. I didn?t realize that he was recovering from a heart attack that had changed the direction of his life. He was now pursuing some of the other passions of his life, one of which was driving vintage cars. Little did I know that this would be the beginning of a journey. That chance happening led to our driving thousands of miles all over California with him.

Each year, Nick would join my dad and me on several automotive rallies. Basically, he just looked for any excuse to drive. On one particular drive to Monterey, Nick was following us in his beautifully restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CS (actually, it is really Gena?s and she would loan it to Nick). He was driving that car at its limits and trying to keep up with our much lighter and faster Porsche. In the process, his car bottomed out and broke an exhaust bracket. As we stopped to assess the damage, I chose to relieve myself at the nearest plant. I could hear Nick telling my dad that if he just had some wire, we would be fine. Just as he said that, I looked down and saw a wad of bailing wire very close to my newly created irrigation path. I excitedly exclaimed, ?I have some right here!? Just as Nick finished manipulating the wire to hold the exhaust in place he asked me, ?where did you find this wire and why does it smell?? When I told him, he feigned a punch at me and then just laughed. For years afterwards, he reminded me that he would never ask me for roadside tools again.
    One of Nick?s last great drives took place earlier this year on the Targa California. This was a three-day, thousand-mile vintage car rally through the Central California countryside. As his health began to wane, many of us were worried that he wouldn?t be able to join us. That never dissuaded Nick. He prepared his BMW Alpina, strapped on his oxygen and drove like a bat out of hell. You could just tell that he was going to suck the marrow out of life on this drive. Each day, after driving over 250 miles, Nick would be in the parking lot beaming. He would passionately describe plowing through miles of thick mud as if he were competing in the Monte Carlo Rally. You could just see in Nick?s eyes that he was truly living.
    Nick touched hundreds of people with his kindness and altruism. He never said ?no? to anyone and warmly welcomed everyone. He was the kind of person whom we should all hope to emulate. There are countless songs written about saying goodbye. It is because no one likes to use those words to the ones they love. So, as Nick would say to me when he left the garage, "see you guys later."
    Last edited by Paul-HB; 07-22-2012 at 05:19 AM.

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

very kind post, thanks for sharing, sorry for the loss. there are not people like this around much anymore.

I too was saddened to receive Gena's email about Nick's passing.

I had met Nick several times during visits to SoCal and agree he was a true car-guy.

My friend Kent Moore is now the custodian of his '72 2002 BMW and I look forward to a ride in it someday.

My condolences to Gena and family.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Gena and Dana....got the sad text-message from Ray the other day...Aug 4th I'll be "back home" but will be there "in spirit"...I'll sent some Swedish thoughts for Dana to translate!(Dana's Swedish is very good, if you did'n know...)...Nick's a good man...I remember this guy who attended the R-gruppe gathering in Cambria? a few years back...but simultaniously he was commuting back and forth to Buttonwillow to race the 2002...if that's not multitasking, I don't know what is...kicking tires in the "R"-gruppe parking lot and kicking butt at Buttonwillow on the same weekend...how'bout that?.../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

RIP and best to family.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Thank you Paul for this elegant write up. Even if you didn't know Nick, this gives you a great sense of the kind of guy he was. It reminds me too that I'm so thankful for the life I have and the friends I've made. I'm deeply saddened. My sincere condolences to Nick's family and friends.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thank you Mark...we all appreciate your kind words.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Wonderful write up to great car guy Paul........

This warm and gracious man will be greatly missed..... My deepest sympathies

Mike Jacobson took this pic when we were following Nick on last April's Targa CA. ..... and as always, he was cook'n
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Only met Nick this year at California Targa..... didn't realize he was sick until Lois Gerace told me after. He certainly drove the targa with abandon....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Nick Reed/Veloce Gruppe Logo Decal

Over the past year, Nick and I were working on a logo for his Veloce Gruppe (what he called his car hang-out garage). In memory, we just finished the logo based on what we started. The 229 represents his favorite driving road in one of his favorite parts of California: Paso Robles. Later this year, some of his ashes will be spread along the road. So, we printed off water transfer decals (same size as the R Gruppe Treffen ones). We are selling them for $12 for two which includes U.S. postage. The proceeds will go to Nick and Gena's charity called Girls Inc. If you are interested in a couple, please send paypal to: me@paulkramer.com

Also, I will have some here at the shop...just email me if you want to stop by and pick them up.

Cheers,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3