Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LED light bulbs

On my '71 911 it was necessary to replace the flasher in order for the LED turn signal bulbs to work correctly. Here's a post on Pelican that describes what needs to be done: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-problem.html

Mine is a 1966. Did you replace just the flasher unit or did you go through the complete system as suggested in the pelican thread. Which electronic flasher did you use & where purchased.
    Bob

I just put LEDs in my gauges. Since it's so easy to undo, I went white and not yellow.

I can actually see them at night now.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Quote Originally Posted by bobm View Post
    Mine is a 1966. Did you replace just the flasher unit or did you go through the complete system as suggested in the pelican thread. Which electronic flasher did you use & where purchased.
    Bob
    Yes, I replaced the flasher with one purchased from Superbrightleds.com I don't recall the part number, however, you will be able to figure it out the one you need on the superbrightled.com website.

After removing the Porsche 4 pin flasher and replacing it with the newer BMW 3 pin flasher you follow step 6 in the instructions from the Pelican forum post:

6) If you look at the back of the sockets for the left and right indicator bulbs in the rev-counter, you will se that they both have two wires attached to them via spade terminals. Using the new terminals and extra wire that you have, you are going to replace the part of the circuit that feeds the signal back to the missing relay pin so that it goes to earth (negative terminal on the battery!!). Good news is that you can do it all on the back of the rev-counter

Order with SuperBrightLEDS has been placed. I'm going to hold off on the turn signals and just do brake lights and reverse lights. Thanks for the info guys!
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

LED bulbs aren't DOT approved mainly because of their narrow beam angle, especially in a typical narrow form factor. However, their response time is superior.

To ensure as wide a beam pattern possible, I would recommend sourcing a bulb with as many LED elements as will fit into the housing. I've had a 9-element LED for years, but these 1", 1.25" or 1.85" LED cluster are probably superior. The manufacturer, Radiantz, has been around for many years. These LED clusters are available in a wired bulb base or as a single unit bulb.
    http://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c16.html&1

Sherwood (No affiliation)

48 element, 1.85" cluster
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I bought the LED 1157 & 1156 bulbs from Superbright. When first installed the turn signals would flash really slow and I lost the interior (speedo) flasher light. I bought a 3 prong electronic flasher unit
    (10.00 @ local auto parts store) and it plugged right into the original socket, you have to ground the unit with the supplied black ground wire. Once installed the lights work great, even got back the interior(speedo) light, the new electronic flasher also makes a nice clicking sound so you can hear if you leave your blinkers on. I also replaced, the back-up and the license lights. Lights are brighter, I feel safer and Mama's happy

I really like yellow turn signals on the back of cars. Seems to attract much more attention than red ones.

I discovered while installing LED lights in the '73 that a yellow LED bulb under stock red tail light lens shows yellow when on! Love it.

Name:  LED tail lights L off.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  LED tail lights L on.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  71.2 KB
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    To ensure as wide a beam pattern possible, I would recommend sourcing a bulb with as many LED elements as will fit into the housing. I've had a 9-element LED for years...
    I've had these installed in both of my 911s. Bought the first set something like 7 years ago. 48 LEDs per board, and when packed into the round pattern, they don't look like LEDs when lit. Easy install, totally reversible, no cutting, drilling, etc.

Spokeworks LED RS-style brake lights

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.59.12 PM.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  211.9 KB

My only criticism was that the tail lights were too bright, so there wasn't as much difference between tail and brake as I wanted. When I mentioned that to Jerry (the man behind the lights) he said the tail lights could be easily dimmed by removing two of the three resistors on each circuit board. That was what I did on the pair in the Carrera 3.2.

When I bought a new pair for the 72T I mentioned that I would probably be pulling those resistors, and he said that since he generally builds to order, he'd just build me a pair that way.

I love mine. Instant response, and virtually undetectable. And VERY bright.
    Last edited by Arne; 10-01-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Name:  L1020750.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  72.9 KB

Jerry built the LED clusters for the custom Triumph Thruxton I built many years ago. Bright lights are pretty key on a bike too!
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK