Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anything selling at these 'new' prices?

Is anything selling at these 'new' prices?

While I'm not willing to entirely attribute this to Prescott Kelly's article in Pano, I think it's undeniable that of late we are seeing a paradigm shift in pricing. I'm seeing nice T's asking $60s and E's in the $80's. Instead of another discussion about whether or not these prices are valid, I'd just like to know if people out there are actually buying a $60k 911T.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the 'E' is the sleeper collectible, but are buyers forking over big bucks to put these 'T' cars in their collection? I could buy a lot of affordable fun for that kind of money. I'd like to hear from people who know of actual sales at these prices.

Cheers,
    Mike

I know of a 2.2 coupe, very original but not as nice as the example for sale on S Registry now, that went for $70k, last month. It is low on options, too.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Not seeing this phenomena on eBay...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

My observation is that sales have been brisk with any early 911 that is priced below this bar, which indicates prices are rising.

Prscott's article is not here say or urban myth. I was in Scottsdale this past January, those figures are real.

There were cars offered with obvious short comings, and they were passed over, but good cars, be they Ts or even sportomatics brought big money. The S cars will always lead..just like SCs, Supers, Super 90s and four cam 356s to the collectors. All the early long hoods have very similar trim levels, look, sound and smell...and is well known that the best driving cars are the Ts and Es......the S was intended as a gentleman's club racer and is great if you keep it wrapped up, which is a pain in traffic. So...a really clean straight T is every bit as desirable...it all equals out in drivability since none of these collectable level cars have 50 series tires or wings.....anything over 110-120 gets a little creepy......the '67S on it's 4 1/2s at 140?? Yikes! EBay is a hodgepodge of the rare nice car and camoflauged rat being offered for a quick buck......buyer beware. You have to throw EBay and the auction prices into the mix with private sales to get a realistc market......but it's definately up...be they Ts or Es. Also keep in mind that the US market is strongly affected by the European buyers coming over...they are wiling to spend signifigantly more and have driven prices up.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

The European market is going to have an effect. I know two guys here in the Denver area where some guys from Germany came in and bought up almost all their 40 plus years of acquired parts for MANY hundreds of thousands of dollars. They couldn't afford these cars when they where new. Now they can and they want them back. It seems when I see a restored car for sell in Europe they are asking a fair bit more then what is being asked for over here.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.

It's a hard question to answer empirically as I doubt you will get that many people to stand up and say look what I paid for my car. So here are some reflections to support the prices.

Examples of the 1-2% investment grade cars can be found sifting through the sold inventory at Road Scholars as a quick sample. These are but a few examples of the low mileage, well known examples the Pano article is suggesting.
    http://road-scholars.com/category/recently-sold/
    For reference, you will see the 73T mentioned in the article in their recently sold inventory. If my bread crumb trail research is accurate, that car is owned by someone (quietly off the record) on this forum.
    It is these types of cars that are going for the big money.

For restored/refreshed cars, see the CPR site. I doubt they let any of their cars go below 100k, regardless of T, E, or S.

No affiliation with either, btw.

For the good to excellent drivers, fully sorted, freshened, turn the key and everything works, those prices sound about right to me as well. What does it cost to get a 40k eBay purchase up to the 'Pano article' levels? Not much, the money goes quickly.

Prescott Kelly's definition of 'driver' may need some discussion. I am guessing it means a car with everything entirely correct but in continually used condition. What does it cost to get that last 5% correct? This 5% is where the expense is as discussed many times on this forum. A road rashed '68 with the proper interior and 1 yr only bits that gets driven enthusiastically vs a 68 that has been rat-rodded or has expen$ive details skipped over, as an example. The latter is not in his definition of 'driver' I imagine.

And finally, keep in mind so many cars are sold word of mouth, outside the glare of the internet spot light.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

German Buyers

Though the 73 911S is not for sale, two gentleman from Germany have tracked me down and made offers for my car. That scared me a bit. Their offers were very high; more than the car is really worth. Driving and showing the car is way too much fun and I am not ready to sell it!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Not seeing this phenomena on eBay...
    Because the majority of stuff on Ebay is usually junk. Occasionally you'll find a deal, but the vast majority is misrepresented and/or junk.

JMHO, of course.

On a related note there're two phrases that have been floating around in my head lately:

1) You never pay too much, you just pay too soon.
    2) The garbage cars of today are the cars we WISH we could find 10 years down the road. What's too rusty today will be worthy of restoration tomorrow.

It's all relative and TIME is the great equalizer.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 07-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

^^^^ +1...well said.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100