Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winton Historic Festival of Speed

Winton Historic Festival of Speed

Well guys, after years of sitting on the fence as spectator, I have given in! Thanks for your encouragement over such a sustained period.

I've entered the "porsche only" regularity, and PCA are holding a 60th anniversary of Porsche clubs event around the weekend. Assuming they get 30 entries our regularity group will be exclusively Porsche. I know 4 or 5 of the 356 guys from Sydney are running, so here's hoping they get 30 entries. My objectives will be to have fun, and stay out of the way of the fast guys.

Now that the flush of enthusiasm and exitement of entering my first event has passed I need to get organised. I already have somebody who will take down my spare wheels and r spec tyres.

But I need assistance with a few other things:

What tools will I need?

Where can I get a good light weight jack suitable for an early 911? My searches at Repco and Supercheap have so far proved to be fruitless.

What tyre pressures should I run?

Any other pointers / recommendations ?

I'll be checking your youtube videos of Wintons Alex.... so I'll have some vague idea of the lines I'll need to take. Once I get down there and have worked out what feels comfortable I'll nominate a time. Out of interest though, what sort of times are you doing Alex? I might take that and add 15 seconds (to start with)!

Justin

Justin,

I bought this Jack 3 years ago and still going strong http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=3708&bc=no

They will have no problem getting 30 entry for Porsche regularity, also don't worry about the time you won't need to set it until you done a practice session.

Hi Justin

Well done, I'm just about to put in a late entry.

I'll have much of what you need and you're welcome to borrow it throughout the weekend and if I don't have it help yourself to Hung's stuff!

I'll have a jack. Do you have a good tyre pressure gauge ? I'll work out starting pressures once I speak to Mr C.

Im going down Thursday arvo, what are your plans ??
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Nice one Mr Reed.

I'd start your R tyres at 25 psi cold. They will come up to pressure a little differently depending on the track and the weather (even the time of day). Check them as soon as you come off the track, after each session, and keep resetting at about 30 psi hot all round.

Ps. I have the magnetic roundels at home if you still need them.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

thanks for the continued encouragement guys.

Hung - thanks.

Andy - also thanks. Yes I have a good pressure guage. Not sure at this point, most likely Friday morning. Are you getting a garage? If so, I'd happily chip in. It'd be easier for me to scrounge your tools then!

Ryan - yes thanks, I'll drop by on the weekend to pick them up. We can arrange a convenient time.

Justin

Justin

Just entered and booked accom.

I have a car port (no garages left) which your welcome to share or store stuff in, but I suspect it will be the same size as Wakefield, so storage only is more likely. I've entered Reg as well, in the Porsche one, should be fun. We can all get lost together .....

I'm going down with Rob Berson on Thursday arvo, staying the night part way there, and then continuing on early Friday, in time for practice.

Where is my V8 super cars for PS2, I need to get some practice !

Alex sad you're not coming too, but I'm sure you'll be busy all the same, congrats again.

MH fell like sneaking down for the day ?? I know you like long drives .....
    Andrew B (Tiger)

I am looking for accommodation for Friday night, let me know if you have a spare bed.

You definitely can NOT fit more than one car in the carport and storage is minimal.
    I will be toughing it out somewhere on the grass.

Hung Ive got a two bed mini apartment in Glenrowan, you're welcome to a room. Not flash but .....
    Andrew B (Tiger)

AB,
    Thanks I will take you up on that.

What torque setting (in ft lbs) do i use when I put my race wheels on?

Looking forward to catching up with severla of you on the weekend.