Thread: turn signal gremlin -- 73S

turn signal gremlin -- 73S

My turn signals work fine with the headlights off, but when the headlights are on, they don't work and I get both arrows on the tach flashing dimly. I had the "both arrows flashing dimly" issue with the headlights off, but I replaced the flasher relay with a new Hella flasher from Pelican and that problem went away. I have also had some issues with headlights (low beam not working, high beam working) not coming on, like it was a turn signal/high beam stalk switch issue, but that has gone away for now. Could it be the stalk switch causing the "no turn signal with the headlights on" problem?

thanks for the help.

P.S. I did the Google search first!
    73 911S Targa

Bad connections. Replace the bulbs and make sure no corrosion in there and that they fit tight. The spring pressing to the + bulb gets weak / corroded. I had to put a small piece of metal tape on one of mine to solve the problem. Also, make sure the ground wire is clean and tight.

Chris

73 E

member #1515
    I agree with Chris, clean up your fuse contacts, grounds, bulb receptacles. Also make sure all the wires feeding the fuses are clean and making good contact.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Try unscrewing the turn signal bulb about 1/100 of a revolution and see what happens. Some times the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb and the two contacts in the base come together, causing a short. It doesn't take much of a turn to back it off. You want to make sure that the bulb is not over tightened. But if that solves the problem, you know where to start working. Just my experience in the 73.5 Targa

John

My car has been suffering thru this, too....I found more problems with the front bulbs in this car, even though they were blinking, everything checked out ok, seemed to happen most often when the car had been idling for a while, less output from the alternator....cleaned all the contacts, replaced all the bulbs, tried some dielectric compound on the contacts, I've been good for a while now....the short answer is, look for the bulb that is blinking less brightly than the others.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

thanks everyone, I will try these ideas
    73 911S Targa