Thread: Rehabilitate or replace seat covers etc. ?

Rehabilitate or replace seat covers etc. ?

Hi folks,

I picked up some used seats from a 73 911S from a retired Penn State Physics prof on the last leg of my vacation in the Virginias. They came from an original owner 73S which was hotrodded by the same owner in the mid 80's, so they were in the car (his daily driver till that point) for about 15 years. Actually bought them on ebay for a song a month ago and thought that I'd save the shipping, which was double my winning bid. Now I fully expected that I would be completely disassembling them and then blasting the frames and mechanisms, repainting or replating as needed and then putting in new springs, straps, pads and covers.

But as I started to do some scrubbing today, I realized that below all the grime and a few worn spots and tears, the seat covers are in pretty good shape, and I am now leaning towards getting the covers repaired. Drivers left bolster is the worst of course. Metalwork will still need a full cleanup, but all parts are there (including the knobs) and they all work. One option is www.fibrenew.com which has a local franchisee. Anyone have experience with them ?

The seats are complete. The headrests were so good after scrubbing with a brush and some ivory soap that I wrapped them and put them away before I snapped the pics. Belt receptacles are complete, including seatbelt warning chime contacts and I have the uncut mates for the shoulder belts from the existing car in excellent shape.

There seem to be a number of places to get pads and spring kits from ? Best source ? Has anyone combined these with stock to preserve the horsehair aroma ? I'm hoping to keep the entire interior original except for a new headliner and carpet, both destroyed by mice and rot. Hoping I might actually get a good used set of carpets, or at least NOS - all in an effort to preserve the smell.

Any other tips and tricks for disassembly or assembly ?

thanks
    Ravi
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-29-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: correction on belts
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

And, BTW, how do you remove the head rest covers ? I'd like to replace the headrest posts. I can see a clip, but not quite sure how to loosen
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK