Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Door pockets .... OK I'm confused .... Need your experience and voice of wisdom here

Door pockets .... OK I'm confused .... Need your experience and voice of wisdom here

The front door pockets (moveable and fixed) need to be replaced on my car, 1973 S. I did a comprehensive search through this site and Pelican. I followed all the links to multiple vendors- Pelican, einmalig parts, Eckler/Automotion (who have a 15% off through tomorrow), an Italian and German sites who all claim to have the best replacements .... understandably. Also I found that Tony at Autobahn interiors does repairs.

My goal is to have great if not perfect stock looking and functioning door pockets

So I can (correct me here if I am missing something) -

-Have them repaired, say with Tony at Autobahn ($?)
    -I can order new OEM through Pelican or other sites
    -I can order the "new and improved" ones through Einmalig

What have you all been doing?

One additional question, while I am working on both doors is it wise to replace the interior door latch pull as a preventative maintenance? The ones in the car seem fine other than appearing faded and have milky grey color to them.

Thanks for your help.

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Depending on your craft skills and the card board integrity you can restore them. The aluminum trim can be carefully removed and re-brite dip anodized. The card board recovered with the generic German black vinyl that is still availble, and the insides can be re-flocked. The foam molded top frame of the front pockets tends to split around the studs...these splits can be re-glued using Loctite Black Magic #804.

The biggest problem with the rear flip outs is moisture from some idiot failing to replace the moisture barrier during collision or window regulator repair. or just leaving windows down over 40 years destroys the cardboard form pocket and they are all distorted.

Someone, Stoddard, Sierra Madre, or Pelicak is even selling the plastic hinges for the flip outs,

OR....pay Tony....OR just spend the money and buy really nice brand news ones.

It can be done...time, skill, or money.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

the other key is to see if the bottom hinges are in place... if not its a real pain to replace, that alone can ruin the pockets.

I am shortly introducing ALL spare parts for the door pockets and ... a new production, full 4 pcs set ,more info and pricing comming shortly

Marek

Indeed, but as I said above...someone is selling the hinges....the pain is drilling out and rebucking new rivets......of all places, Tandy Leather sells a black flat head rivet which is close. Who knew?!

My fronts were decent. I re-glued the split top pieces, re-flocked the insides and then just bought new rear flip outs from Aase.

Still...it can be done.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Don't replace the door latches just because they are grey......SEM Landau Black with their prep stuff....like new!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Thanks guys! Great suggestions and tips. Like the idea of using SEM Landau Black on the interior door latches. Do you prep first?

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Most auto paint supply shops who sell SEM will have the SEM prep/cleaner...they turn out very nice!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Anyone comes up with a reasonable way to fix / replace door pockets, let me know. Might be cheaper to replace the whole car in some cases. $700+ X 4 = forget about it for now.

Chris

743 911 E

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Let’s see … Porsche A.G. / PCNA wants us to now pay US$700 for a trim item common to every production 911T, 911E, 911S and 912 from 1969 through 1973 that was almost defective by design from new.
    They sure know how to take care of their customers. Paging Mr. Dover, paging Mr. Ben Dover.

And I’m a life-long entheuiast.

Best,
    Grady