Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows Nardi's

Who knows Nardi's

I'm trying to figure out the production date on an old Nardi I have. There is no date box on the back, only a "Nardi Torino Made In Italy" stamp and of course the Nardi stamp on the front. Any ideas of when date stamps were required? Rim to rim, its about 370mm. Thanks in advance. Name:  nardi front.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  104.1 KBName:  nardi back.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  99.3 KB

I'm pretty sure that's an '80s production wheel. But not 100 percent certain.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

I thought that too but I figured they would have been required by some legal body to put a date stamp on it by then?

I'm with mark the old 60's and early 70's Wheels have date stamps.
    Cheers

Uli
    Last edited by uai; 07-30-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Nardi started date stamping in the mid 70's - after the company was bought by Personal. I have several early wheels, undated but verified around 1970. Your wheel looks to be '73-'75 - better photos of the leather spoke wraps and stitching will tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    Nardi started date stamping in the mid 70's - after the company was bought by Personal. I have several early wheels, undated but verified around 1970. Your wheel looks to be '73-'75 - better photos of the leather spoke wraps and stitching will tell the tale.
    Nardi wheels were datestamped up until 1965 . It is kind of fuzzy after that. I'm also pretty sure that there was no law that required a date stamp.
    I can attest that they date stamped wheel in the early 70s, though. Pictures are attached of 2 Nardi Torino wood wheels kicking around my place. I do agree that wheel in question was probably from the mid to early 80s. One needs to look very closely to find a date stamp on some of those wheels. It is not always in the same spot and can be pretty crude.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 07-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that they may have been inconsistent about this. I have seen the datestamps on antique Nardi wheels of various styles. On the later style wheels, I have, as I mentioned, 3 wheels that are undated, and their construction is a bit unique compared to the later ones. I've confirmed the age on these wheels through receipts. The earliest dated wheel I've seen in the above style was a '74, and it looked quite a bit like geneulms.
    What's the date on the one above, Jim? I can't make out the last digit.

It is dated 10 72. I want to be clear that I am no Nardi expert and can only go on my personal experience. I do know that Nardi quit using datestamps on their 420MM dedicated Porsche wheels in 1965. I don't know is that has much bearing on this thread, though.

Regards

Jim

That's 2 years older than I'd previously seen - good to know. Like you, I've had a number of the wheels - far more than most guys, but I'm no authority, and can only go by what I've seen and own.
    The reasons I think his wheel is older is that it's undated, and it has no indentations on the back. My experience has been that the leather wheels after '74-'75 have dates, and finger knurls on the back - they look pretty much the same as wheels made in the 80's and 90's. I'll post a few pics of older Nardi's later in the week - you'll be able to see the differences, and tell me what you think.

I have a Porsche horn buttoned, 420mm Nardi wood rimmed, racing-hole spoked wheel correctly date stamped '67'. Will dig up a pic....
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers