Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012, 14th Annual Treffen, Ventura CA

2012, 14th Annual Treffen, Ventura CA

Went to this event, yesterday . . . Sunday, 05-Aug

Heard about it from one of The Busters at the Gathering of Friends, in SLO, coupla weeks before

I had no idea where I was going, so . . . got a little lost. Event took place at a little strand/parking-lot setting directly adjacent to the Channel Islands Harbor . . . event heading said 'Ventura' prolly 'cause 'Oxnard' is hard to say with a straight face

(Wonder what the heck was going on when they were taking that vote? And what came in second? . . . Horsep@cker? --- yikes!)

Anyway, another nice venue --- basically a long + narrow parking lot stuck in between a harbor and a bunch o' sea-side condos + homes . . . cool/overcast, nice/quiet/friendly crowd, lotsa parking + easy to get to, lotsa cars (on the grass), lotsa characters, pet + kid friendly, plus more than a little swap-action going on

My Porsche is down for some stuff, right now . . . so I BMW'd it . . . but a few 911s would've fit right in
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 14th Annual Treffen . . .

'Cal' Looks . . . or what they call it it when you slam a VW, festoon it w/ lights/badges/roof-racks/furniture/etc, then take it out and show-off

What do they call it when you do this to a Mustang? . . .

. . . or 'Vette? . . .

. . . or Porsche? . . .

Argh!

We Can Be Heroes

Karmann Ghia convertibles

Factory coach-built VWs . . . front fenders are made-up from 7 different/individual stampings. Dunno what these sold for new . . . but these small tail light 'verts are/have been a $40k+ propositions for a while, now

We Can Be Heroes

Ever seen/heard of one o' these? Me, neither

A 23-window bus --- but this one's a Goliath. 1100 Express (?) (German humor) Early '50s (?)

Liquid-cooled flat-two. The floors are missing prolly 'cause the termites got to 'em --- they're wood. Either that or somebody tossed 'em into a beach bonfire by accident. Alloyish body?

Amazing that so much of this looks like original . . . six decades on

The form + style look modern, to me. Now, imagine being Back in the Day . . . this thing parked next to a '53 Chevy. Or Ford. Or Studebaker. Utterly alien
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

That's a Luxus bus with the BIG engine, Rick... they're steel. Spacious things that now are being sought out though I've yet to see one in fine condition. A dry resto candidate in NM sat unsold on the Samba for over a year probably because of the insane asking price. The pickup trucks are even cooler. More on the Hansa/Lloyd/Goliath story here:

http://www.goliath-veteranen-club.de/
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I was hoping to maybe see a coupla Meyers Manx --- but nada

Did see this, though. Sano-spotless Buggy. And from the plate --- an older vehicle. Biggest turn-signal wand I've ever seen

These kinds of cars have always appealed to me 'cause they're light (fiberglass), easy to maintain/run/etc (VW-powered), and tough (both of the above). Plus, with the weather out here in SoCal? --- no need for a top. Or a radio. Or an interior. Less is LOTS. Now. Add some sticky/modern rubber, a full-on seat/shell, then bump the HP . . . I could have myself one helluva Skoot. For the price of a beater Camry . . .

Kinda like this . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    . . . That's a Luxus bus with the BIG engine, Rick . . .
    Hey, Russ . . . yeah? --- but that's not what it says on the nose . . .

. . . they're steel . . .
    Hmm. The front? --- definitely . . . I can see/taste the rust --- from here.

But the back? --- I dunno. Right rear corner's paint finish's all cracked off, sheet metal's exposed . . . . looks to me like an old Airstream underneath. Need to go back to bringing a pocket-magnet with me when I go to these shows

. . . now are being sought out . . . A dry resto candidate in NM sat unsold on the Samba for over a year probably because of the insane asking price . . .
    That does NOT surprise me. Anything from Europe from around this period's gotta be rare. Plus, with every regular flavor of German and French and Italian maker well-researched/-documented/-flipped for all their worth, seems natural that all the not-so-household brands have their turn

Plus? . . . this thing is just soooo strange . . . I'd just wanna hear it run --- a flat-TWO? C'mon!
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Steyr Puch Haflinger

German Army something-'r-other. Some kind of air-cooled power-plant in residence. Asked the innocent-enough-looking straw-hatted owner a few questions . . . whereupon he pounced/launched-off into some lengthy soliloquy about Porsche ripping-off Ledwinka's designs -blah-blah-blah . . . I feigned autism, slunk away. Obvious military dress but still looks like it escaped from a golf course . . . in Transylvania. I kinda like the canvas + steel tube + wood slat/quonset hut vibe, but . . . . looks a bit smallish

My dog would love this thing . . .

We Can Be Heroes

More 2012, 14th Treffen . . .

The more-metal alternative to the Manx/buggy . . .

The Thing --- aka Type 181

VW channels JEEP. Two-wheel drive, but . . . . top comes down/off. Doors come off. Windshield drops. Industrial upholstery. No carpeting/door panels/roll-up windows/head-rests/seat-heaters/cup-holders. Personalized finish --- inside/out. (Heavily) Original colors were white, orange, yellow and green. '73s (like this one) came w/ gas heaters (!) --- dropped in the '74s, identified by their 'scoops' over the rear engine vents

So tempting. I use stuff and having something like this that I don't need to clean/fuss/obsess over has always held no small amount of attraction. And besides --- the doors come off, fercryinoutloud!! --- how cool is that?

My dog would love this, too. Somebody's already does
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Steyr-Puch Haflinger,.... just rolls off the tongue doesn't it
    Rob Abbott