Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivory headliner for '73 coupe

Just to update this thread, after much searching we have decided to have the headliner material re-made as per original. The tooling is not cheap but at least ours- once finished will be 100% correct with regards to grain, the correct perforations and also the way we will stitch them for the headliner bows. I am also thinking about having the salt and pepper carpet remade next. This is available from an original supplier in Germany but over the years it is not the same as the original.

More info soon

Alan

Hi Alan,
    That sounds fantastic. Just to update people here, the NOS headliner I bought ripped at the creases from being folded for 30 plus years. Not too surprising really, and a reason that fabrics should be hung or placed flat and not stored folded. Seller was great and refunded all but the shipping.

And just to confirm, it looked just like the swatch in Pic 2 of Post 11 in this thread that Mark put up. Diamond or hexagonal, whatever your preference for the name of the pattern is.

I have contacted AutoAtlanta to see what the current Porsche offering looks like. They are talking to their contact at Porsche in Atlanta and so we'll see what happens when she comes back with an answer.

What is your timeframe Alan ?

cheers
    Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 10-11-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Hopefully not to long, the main time is to make the tooling which creates the perforations, making the vinyl with the correct grain is straight forward, and before anyone asks I have also requested prices to remake the original black vinyl with blue backing, 68 elephant hide plus original sound deadening pads for the engine bay plus some other cool things, such as original style solid door seals with correct enlarged areas against the window, original blanking grommets with the circles on them, plus more. Now I just need to earn the funds to pay for it! Gulp

Thanks

Alan

Alan, tried to send you a PM. Your box was full so I will post here.

I was wondering if you have had any success in sourcing the correct black rubber boots for female electrical spade connections? Here in the states it seems I can only find clear silicone or other incorrect boots.
    Thanks for the help.
    -Bill
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

I can get them made as I also could not find them here. There may well be a source but with the list of items I am looking to make it would be no heart ache to also add those. Sorry about my PM box i will sort that now.

Thanks

Alan

Thank you Alan; By chance would you supply the correct pillar coverings as well? The ones I have seen listed apear to have quite a heavy grain.

I look forward to seening another great product from CC/Alan.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Any progress on this Alan ? Sent you a PM in Oct. offering to pay for one to help you get the tooling off the ground. Never heard back.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I have an NOS piece that is 19"( 48mm) x 54" (137mm)more than enough for a sunroof recovering that was extra from an NOS set for 69-73 sunroof.
    sure looks like the correct pattern base on Marks description and photos.
    I can cut a swatch for purposes of an exact example for proper reproduction.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

when enlarging the samples you posted it appears that phl-25 mahogany and Phl-6 appear to have the correct hole pattern while the others are the symetric squares...?? seems that its at least available in other colors..?? strange
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Autos International sells these. As I look at them, arguably a square on it's side is a diamond, so is it the aspect ratio that defines a diamond ? TO me the 900 Series German Ivory looks very much like what I got. I don't have my headliner handy. It's at the shop with the car.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I'll take a better picture in daylight, the one above looks too yellow and it is not like that in person, it has a rather low sheen perfect ivory color
    I'll try and find the pics in my old drive of when the original NOS set was installed on the car, certainly not so white as I currently see on many cars, this is a richer ivory/offwhite color
    a small swatch is difficult to get a good sense of the color and texture. Better compared on a larger piece.

I wonder if the oem supplier/s included an extra piece for the sunroof panel like I have in case the first attempt at installing it got damaged?

anyone has or remembers what a new oem sunroof set included? Paul Chappell probably has one?
    Last edited by EARLY911ZOO; 12-01-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added info
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128