Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really had no choice

I really had no choice

With the Monterey Pre-Historics mere days away, I took the morning off from working on Ruprecht and on the house today to check out all the photo gear I will be taking to Carmel to verify that everything was clean, working as it should, the settings are all correct, the batteries are all charged, etc. Made a list of small stuff I needed and paid a visit to the local pro camera store, friends I've been doing business with since the 80s.

While I was there getting some new high-capacity cards, I decided to check out the latest, recently introduced Canon 5DMkIII body as a potential replacement for my now three-year old Canon 5dMkII. After playing with the MkIII for 1/2 an hour, snapping a few shots and studying all the differences between what I own now and the MkIII, I decided against the swap, but embarked on a different path altogether.

For those contemplating moving up to the MkIII, it probably is an upgrade if your equipment is a couple of years old, especially in the area of auto-focusing performance, a broader ISO range, the increased speed of the new on-board Digic 5 processor and a host of new automatic whiz-bang electronic features. The last part, all the new electronic features, in my view are all there in a classic display of the engineers and marketing boffins including them because they could, what with the new ultra-fast CPU, but I must question if all the new features would really result in a discernible improvement of image quality, or would they just help make it easier to snap away and possibly & only marginally improve the capabilities of the Canon L lenses I already own and whose capabilities I am thoroughly familiar with, and which I would continue to use on the new MkIII. The roughly 2k $ difference I would have to cough up for what would basically have been a tit-for-tat swap capability-wise said NO in a loud & clear voice.

Therefore, since what I am obsessively after is a massive improvement in image quality to the highest level currently available in optical performance in a sensibly sized, easily portable, 36 x 24 mm full-frame digital camera, it became thunderously clear in an instant that there was only one path for me to logically pursue........a new Leica M9 with Leica's newest, best, and sharpest lens ever ( their claim ), the Leica M 35mm f2.0 Asph. Summicron. The only down-side of this new combo from what I have been shooting up to now as I see it, is that I'm loosing one full stop at wide open aperture, but even wide open at F2 the Leica lens is already so dramatically sharper and superior in all parameters of measurement than the Canon lenses, especially in the Leica's rendering of the out-of-focus fore & back grounds, that there is simply no comparison. Due to certain limitations of the Leica rangefinder ( perspective correction lenses are not available, macro photography is extremely difficult, complicated and expensive to do with a rangefinder, and telephoto photography longer than 135mm is impossible with it ). To fill the vacuum in those areas, I am keeping my current Canon DSLR MkII with a 35mm f1.4 prime L lens for general use, although I expect the Leica will soon take over as my main go-to general use photographic weapon, due to its immense user-friendliness, and intuitive, almost completely manual operation. I am also keeping the Canon 24mm Tilt-shift f3.5 MkII L lens for landscape and architectural photography, the Zeiss 100mm f2.0 Macro Planar for close-ups, landscapes & portraits, and finally the Canon 400mm f5.6 L prime telephoto for shooting motor sports on the track, wildlife, etc.

I really feel like the prodigal son "returning home". The first photo of me at a couple of hours old, was taken by my father with a Leica, the Leica he gave me when I graduated from the equivalent of high-school in Vienna. It's the Leica I traded in on an M3 ( the first Leica with a bayonet lens mount as opposed to the earlier screw-in mounting ) using my own money, which I kept until '88 when I upgraded to the then latest M6TTL. Disposed of that body in 2006 mainly as a result of film hassles & lack of film availability, and moved into Canon digital equipment, but vowed not to go back to Leica until they produced a true Leica-quality full-frame digital range finder camera. In a rare demonstration of maturity and wisdom, I kept the four Leica M lenses I had accumulated for the M6, awaiting the day when I would be a M Leica owner again: a 24mm Elmarit f2.8 Asph., a 35mm Summilux f1.4 Asph., which I traded today on the above f2.0 Asph. Summicron -- the new, slower lens is actually that much better, a 50mm f2.0 Summicron, and a 90mm f2.0 APO-Asph. Summicron. That may not be my final lens array, but God knows, it'll do for the Historics and for the immediate future, and I still have to return them to the factory for retro-fitting with coding terminals so they can communicate with the CPU on the M9............one simply cannot escape some computerization completely, no matter which camera one buys these days.

I suspect this will be the end of my quest, that I'm done buying, it's time to shoot. I genuinely look forward to the overcast, subdued early morning light at Laguna Seca, the usually misty "Dawn Patrol" at Pebble Beach and all the in-between events and random photo opportunities, wherever I encounter them. I will post from the pre-Historics before the end of the Historics week if I can, and will post photos of all the other events when I return home, after the 19th, in addition to sending a selection of Reunion shots to John Dilger for the next issue of the ESSES.

What really had a large part in helping me make a quick & irreversible decision was a long. slow and more-than-a-little envious review of Ferryman's 19-page "Classic LeMans" thread in the Past events forum of the DDK site earlier this week. I highly recommend visiting the site and reviewing the thread for yourself - lots of great photos and neat cars. I'm also attaching a small selection of some of my own random shots, which I took to remind myself of precisely why it had been entirely too long since I owned a Leica M rangefinder camera. The shots are artistic zeroes, but the dynamic range, the color rendition, the sharpness, the manner in which the camera/lens holds details in the shadows, the virtually total absence of optical aberrations, the tonal range, and in general, the way in which Leica M cameras & lenses "write" pictures is quite astonishing......not said braggingly or arrogantly, but with admiration of just how good a product can be when no limits are placed on achieving excellence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-09-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John congrats on the new camera very very nice ! Of course I'm nowhere in your league and working with a limited budget but I to recently purchased a Leica. Although I have lusted after a M3 I really don't see myself using film and wanted something digital. I went for a Digilux 2 some might say the 914 of Leica cameras but for me it's a Leica and one that I could afford. It is a one owner camera with all it's original packaging. Both Bob, Curt and Claudius where all very helpful to me, I also find these old cameras still have a strong following. Looking forward to seeing some great shots from you with your new camera !
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

With the M-lenses already in the arsenal, this seems like a no-brainer. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this John. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    I went for a Digilux 2 some might say the 914 of Leica cameras ....
    Joe, if Thorsten Overgaard hears this, your camera will be confiscated in the dark of night! 914/6 (GT?) maybe.

aa L1030592.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 08-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Ok Curt I stand corrected a 914/6 GT ;-) Thanks for all your help !
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

I had one of the first M9s, since Canada got the first shipments for some reason. It is a wonderful camera, and I was able to use all my dad's old lenses with it (he had M4, 5 and 6s over the years). But it was a bit cantankerous, though it improved somewhat with serial software releases. The loss of patience (one of the hallmarks of aging) and fading eyesight (another hallmark-which now has me need bifocals) meant that ultimately this was perhaps not the best combination for me, and so it all ended up sold, with the M9 going for $1500 more than I paid in those early short supply days. It's a wonderful camera, but it needs aids like a really good EVF to be a modern camera and retain manual focus.
    Plenty of people enjoy them and I'm sure you will too. I'm looking forward to seeing if the M10 addresses these issues for me.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Congrats John! I've also decided to buy a lightly used M9-P in black when prices drop after M10 delivery begins in March 2013. Bob Tilton now has a M9 as well, so I guess we will all be toting them around at a future event!

Your story is very familiar. After using everything under the sun, I'm now back to just Canon SLR and Leica M systems. Life's a trip.

(NOTE: I kept editing this post after copying it to my blog, so I eventually deleted most of it here. Please go to the link in my signature if you want to read a capsulation of my experiences with Leica over 30 years. Thanks.)
    Last edited by a911s; 08-22-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thanks Randy, et al, I wasn't going to say a word about this, but with an altogether happy outcome to a potential fiasco,.........why not ?

The following anecdote proves yet again, as if further proof is needed, that God has no sense of humor whatsoever, and if he does, it's so subtle and complex that we have no hope of getting it. There's a lesson in all this:

Drove to Carmel on Friday, Aug.10, looking forward to a great week & a ton of consistently spectacular shots with my new M9. Had a wonderful first couple of hours Saturday AM shooting my ass off at the pre-Historics. After a while I noticed the LCD screen wasn't giving me the 5 second automatic review I had programmed into the camera, so I pressed the PLAY button to review all my shots, only to discover to my horror that the last twenty or so shots were just blank, black images with no information or photo. Put it away until that evening and once at the kitchen table, concluded that there had been massive computer failure. I had 153 good shots and a dead M9 on my hands. Since there is no Leica representation on the entire Monterey Peninsula, Monday morning, banzai up to Walnut Creek ( thank God nothing was going on car-wise that day ) to confront my friends at the dealer I bought it from. When I walked into the store I couldn't stop myself thinking of John Clesse proclaiming "I wish to register a complaint " in the opening of the dead parrot sketch. They took some time to arrive at the same conclusion I had reached earlier, namely, that what we had in front of us was an ex-M9, that it had gone to join the Choir Invisible, in Cleese's inimitable words.

Just as with cars, or any other major transaction beset with problems, it's at a time like this that you find out just who you're dealing with. They saw I was angry, disappointed and more than a little disgusted with it all, so instead of offering to pack up my wounded camera and returning it to Leica USA for service ( 2 weeks minimum ) they asked me what I wanted done. They happened to have a brand-new M9-P in stock, so after agreeing to a discounted difference to upgrade to the P model with its added features, we made our deal. What caught me by surprise is when they thew in a "Thumbs-Up" assembly, the Leica-approved after market milled aluminum thumb-grip which slides securely into the flash hot-shoe to present a firmer grip on the bar-of-soap shaped Leica body. Then, on my insistence, they added a glass LCD protector for additional scratch protection, even though one of the upgrades to the M9-P is a synthetic Sapphire LCD screen........belt & suspenders theory. Drove back to Carmel, but changed my mind when I got near my exit and continued South to San Luis Obispo to visit Really Right Stuff, an ultra-high-quality manufacturer of camera support gear for all makes of cameras in SLO, to purchase another much needed Leica approved accessory that I had remembered on the drive down, and which would finally make this my very own camera for the work I so love to do. I use a "Really Right Stuff" ball-head on my tripod, and on my monopod, and to quickly and securely fit the new camera to the existing ballhead requires a custom bottom-plate, one with a dovetail milled into the new anodized aluminum baseplate which replaces the Leica part, and which now will fit the quick-release clamp on the ballhead precisely, it also having been manufactured by Really Right Stuff. They had just one such plate left in stock ( yes, I had called ahead ) and while there also picked up their brand-new auxiliary grip for the M9 which screws to the new base plate for an absolutely secure and incredibly comfortable grip. Back to Carmel in time for dinner - total distance driven that day......over 500, but I had finally assembled what I had desperately wanted & needed.

Not the slightest further problem occurred and I came away from a fabulous week with well over 2000 shots that I am very pleased with. Incidentally, I highly recommend the Thumbs-Up thumbrest in conjunction with the Really Right Stuff grip to anyone with an M8 or M9, it makes a rangefinder Leica an even greater joy to use..........Ahhh, the travails of mice & men.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-18-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Congrats John. I like the M9-P appearance so much better than the regular M9. It looks like a Leica should. I've blacked out the name and dot on my Blk M6 to keep it low profile and black M4-like.

Your M9-P also has the upgrades in place. If the M10 turns out to be a bigger camera (as rumored) - this may be the last of the "pure" digital Ms.

Love the story... "There's a reason for everything"
    Last edited by a911s; 08-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Randy Wells
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Leica just announced there will be two new rangefinders replacing the M9-P. A more affordable "M-E" (supposed to be available immediately) and the "M" available in early 2013. Numbers will not be used for designation, as is also the case with the new Leica SLR "S".

Here are the new Leica "M" camera features:
    - Improved image quality due to newly developed 24-megapixel full-frame Leica CMOS image sensor
    - Extended applications with Live View and electronic viewfinder
    - Simple, high-precision focusing thanks to Live View focus and focus peaking
    - Digital fullframe for Leica R lenses, with the Leica R-Adapter M
    - "Leica Look" videos with Full HD video capture (1080p)
    - Enhanced sensitivity range up to ISO 6400
    - 3" display with 920,000 pixels, Corning® Gorilla® glass screen protector
    - Fast image processing by the Leica Maestro image processor, 3 fps burst rate
    - Splash protected body
    - Extremely long battery life
    - Multi-pattern and spot exposure metering
    - Slightly thicker body
    - Available in black paint or a silver chrome finish
    - Price to be announced but reported to be just under $7K

Here are the Leica "M-E" camera features (details still coming in):
    - Lower priced model with no video features
    - An 18-megapixel high-resolution full-frame CCD sensor (same as original M9)
    - ISO range of up to ISO 2,500
    - 230k-dot, 2.5-inch LCD screen and captures 2fps in burst mode
    - Available in anthracite grey
    - Price to be announced but reported to be under $5,500

IIt appears that Leica is trying to reach out to serious enthusiasts with a "more affordable" alternative in the Leica M-E with its more basic specifications yet still retaining a full-frame sensor.
    Last edited by a911s; 09-17-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Randy Wells
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

member #1515
    I have an old m3 with 3 lenses, 35, 50 and 70, I think, I wonder if these will be usable with the new cameras.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs