Thread: Tire questions forAR magnesium torque thrust wheels

Tire questions forAR magnesium torque thrust wheels

Greetings collective brain trust
    I have 6"x15" AR magnesium torque thrust wheels and I am contemplating purchasing 195/65-15 Goodyear Eagle GT tires to mount on them. My concerns are that I believe these wheels were produced in the era of tube type tires and is it acceptable to go tubeless? If in fact it is okay to switch to tubeless is there any specific type or brand of tubeless valve stem I should purchase? If necessary to use tubes is that acceptable with these tires? Due to the magnesium content (porosity?) are these wheels more prone to air pressure loss than Fuchs?
    Any and all input is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Well ..they took out the magnesium in the early formula one cars cause when fires starts, forget it..but they are lighter than aluminum. Tubes, well when you get a puncture they deflate within a minute or two.. The air loss should not be that significant..

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Just fitted a set within the last 3 weeks so I don't have a lot of miles. Went tubeless with steel valves. I think they are .625" diameter but you should check your wheels to make sure they weren't modified. With a little spirited driving they did lose air, so I purchased a digital tire gauge and am planning on bringing a compressor in the garage.
    Read all the horror stories about conflagrations and finite stress analysis/failure, but won't be doing any wheel to wheel combat. Although I did notice the Lucky Lager car sporting a set at RR4 and tearing it up on the track.

There are metal stems that are long enough to work on the Americans if the rubber stlye doesn't.
    We modify the hole for the snap in type stem if there is the need.
    195/65 will work on 6X15s. The wheels should have a coat of paint in the tire area to help with leaks. They seldom leak, but it is good to paint for corrosion protection.
    And yes, they are much more porous than a forged Fuchs.
    H

Thanks for the input from everyone. Helpful and much appreciated
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247