Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marko Engine Verification Guru

Marko Engine Verification Guru

Does anyone on this thread know who Marko (SP?) and possibly his email? Im looking for engine verification details on my '68. I talked to Porsche USA and they said my car is a '75...... :/ clearly something is wrong with their database and from what ive seen...im not the only one.

Cheers and thanks in advance
    evan

Post the vin and engine numbers and we'll try to help.

Do you mean Marco aka Mr9146 perhaps?
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

+1 to the above. Post your numbers and the forum can at least verify that the engine is in the correct range for your chassis.

-Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by 911_S/T View Post
    Does anyone on this thread know who Marko (SP?) and possibly his email? Im looking for engine verification details on my '68. I talked to Porsche USA and they said my car is a '75...... :/ clearly something is wrong with their database and from what ive seen...im not the only one.

Cheers and thanks in advance
    evan
    Good morning, Evan.

I doubt you're referring to me - as I'm surely not a guru - but I'd be happy to help however I can.

The representatives at PCNA, for the most part, don't know much about these cars beyond what is on the computer screen in front of them. They are not, generally speaking, enthusiasts like we are, so expecting them to know vintage information is an exercise in futility. That said, sometimes you reach a person who knows and they can be helpful.

Now, if all you need is engine number info then post what you have here on the forums and someone is bound to help you out. After all, that's what this forum is all about. There are a lot of people who study the SWB cars ... some even confine themselves to certain years. But, as a rule, engine and VIN decoding is something that every enthusiast should know - so post up and let the learning begin.

That said, PM me or email me if I can be of any specific help to you.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 08-16-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I don't believe you are referring to "our" Marco (nice guy, great tech, owns a wonderful shop etc., not as handsome as he thinks he is etc.), the one you are referring to no longer provides this information. It's been probably 15 years since you were able to get your correct engine number by just providing your chassis number. If you get a Cert of Auth from Porsche and you don't provide your engine number, they will only give you a number with the last 3 digits as "x"'s.

However, I know that you can view your "kardex" online at a Porsche Parade, so perhaps you could memorize the number on the screen and write it down after you view the kardex (assuming that the engine number is visual on their screen). I understand you are not allowed to write anything down while looking at it on their screen.

Like Marco says, if you provide your info, I'm sure he can help divine what you have.

cheers,
    Eric

Click below for a MY68 reference on VIN and engine ranges- while this won't provide an answer as to whether your car is matched to the engine, it will tell you what the engine # range should be given the VIN.

http://books.google.com/books?id=el6...number&f=false

Hope this helps,
    Marco (oddly enough)
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

If anyone has ever been fortunate enough to track down their missing or non-matching Engine Number and/or Transmission Number, then please let me know how you did it? I purchased my car without an engine and the transmission included does not "numbers match". I have been reading that some people are able to find the missing engine or tranny. I also contemplate the fact that there is more value in having everything match but, then again, think of how I can put a more reliable or even stronger (possibly later model) engine in my car and not even worry about matching things.

My car is a 1969 T coupe. The ID # 119120982 and the engine# 6190754 with transmission# 7192325 straight from my COA. Thank you in advance for your time, help and advice.
    Last edited by duaneh1; 08-16-2012 at 10:45 PM.

To All,

Sorry for such a delay. I called Porsche USA back the following week and they gave me the option list to my 911. Wonderful stuff!

This is my VIN# 11830175. Is there any other information you could find using the VIN?

Thanks,
    Evan

Name:  IMG_3656.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  195.4 KB
    Last edited by 911_S/T; 09-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Yes....

Sold at Silvestone Motorcars.

VIN: 11830175. Mileage: 78,123. Engine: 2.0 Liter Flat 6. Transmission: 4 Spd Manual. Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive. Warranty: As-Is. Condition: Pre-Owned.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111