Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB Snorkel Alternative

WTB Snorkel Alternative

Hi Guys

I'm chasing something a little more bespoke than a cut down snorkel for my airbox...

I've seen some interesting intake "grills" for the airbox which appear to replace the snorkel cover altogether. I anyone doing this sort of thing for sale?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I've always been a bit curious about the OEM design. Does anyone know why it has that long snout? Does it increase the velocity of the air?

Sorry for going off topic........Bump
    Rob Abbott

Interesting, I never noticed but if you pointed it straight up it looks like a giant velocity stack.
    Rob Abbott

I have wondered about this as well. It's a cleaner look. I like this one.

R Gruppe #631
    Early 911S Registry #1825

1973E Coupe

I'm no expert, but it was my understanding that the snorkel was designed to draw heat off the engine, as well as providing warm air to aid combustion.

That said, the snorkel was always ugly, and the other alternatives are more aesthetically pleasing.

From what little I know of fluid flow ;-), the snorkel appears to have a classic Venturi design. I haven't measured the angles on the inward flare, or the "tube" section of the snorkel, but they seem pretty close to a 30deg followed by a 5deg shape. This shape helps to reduce drag, while also decreasing the pressure (resulting in an increase in flow velocity at the entrance), which may have been a design consideration. Being a fan of a prominent proboscis, I think it's form and function at its finest.
    1996 993 black/tan

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    I'm no expert, but it was my understanding that the snorkel was designed to draw heat off the engine, as well as providing warm air to aid combustion.

That said, the snorkel was always ugly, and the other alternatives are more aesthetically pleasing.
    I don't think its to provide warm air, that is something to be avoided. Cool air is much more desirable, because it is denser and will expand more, creating more power.
    Rob Abbott

On the earlier cars I have always believed that the snorkel design was to ensure water would not be ingested by the engine through the engine cover grill (driving rain storm), attachment point for the oil tank breather to catch fumes, and to help reduce intake noise to meet the strictest European standard of Switzerland. Designed to be off to the side so that these requirements were met and not directly in the way of some service items. One can still reach spark plugs with it on, for instance.

I don't believe it was designed to help the engine ingest hot air.

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

I've always been interested in the fabspeed "cup" intake. (as long as you paint the carbon weave flat black)
    http://www.fabspeed.com/911_2.html

There was someone else out there making an SCRS type intake.

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 08-16-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I ended up just making my own. I used 914 engine lid steel mesh material. I've had my engine on the dyno at Rothsport for the last few days. We tried different snorkels and modified snorkels and my piece. Jeff has one that he made that has no steel mesh and what looks like the top of a spittoon welded to it for better air flow. All in all they were all very close in HP. Mine was about 1 HP less because of the mesh material. The biggest difference was removing the filter. You get more HP without a filter but you suck dirt.
    72S, 72T now ST