Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: @eBay - 1970 911T $24k - very original car

FS: @eBay - 1970 911T $24k - very original car

UPDATE 8/18: EBAY AUCTION STARTED...GOOD LUCK.

UPDATE 8/22: I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, THAT THE MOTOR IN THIS CAR IS THE ORIGINAL MOTOR. #6108727, IS INDEED THE ORIGINAL MOTOR. THE BELOW THREAD HAS A LOT OF DISCUSSION ABOUT WHETHER THE MOTOR IS ORIGINAL OR NOT...IT IS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item3cc9da0214

I stumbled across this car in June. It wasn't running, and the owner didn't want to put any money into it in order to make it run. It had been sitting for about 4 years, and he just wanted to sell it.
    I put the car on a lift, and the underside was amazingly rust-free, and the engine turned freely, so we agreed on a price and I bought it.

Fast forward to today, and here is what has been done to this car, and some other details:

- gas tank removed, cleaned, relined.
    - alternator replaced.
    - fluids changed.
    - two new batteries.
    - tune-up, including valve-adjustment.
    - changed 14" chrome fuchs to 15" non-chrome, and bought 4 new tires.
    - fixed a couple broken wheel studs
    - spent a day and half cleaning the car...

At that stage, the car was a running and driving car....but the transmission had issues... synchros of course.

- I purchased a used transmission and that is now in the car, and working well. A little stiff in spots, but that might be me....I'm not used to the 911/01 shift pattern. I only have 915 cars. The original transmission, as well as the chrome Fuchs, are included in the sale of the car along with what is currently on the car.

- The underside is amazingly rust-free.... I did find some rust in the headlight buckets, and under the headlights...but the bottom of the car is great. See photos.

- The car seems very original. I'm not a long-hood expert... I have a '75 track car, and a really clean '83 SC, but the intricate details about the long-hoods are not my specialty. With that said, I do believe the car to be very original... only repainted once, but the jambs were not done, so those areas are original paint.
    Original interior...original steering wheel (leather wrapped....weathered, but there)...original carpets (frayed in places) but I think it's just patina...original gauges and original radio (clock and radio not working).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mti8PNNQq2M

Overall, a very good car. I took the car to Irvine's Cars & Coffee on August 11th and several of the Porsche regulars looked it over thoroughly..under the hood, under the spare, under the carpets, in the jambs, etc...and said it was a good, honest car, no accidents, and in surprisingly good shape for an unrestored car.... hard to find the ones that are still original..
    I was told by a guy there that this is an early 1970.... Karmann door tag.

The car is running and driving.... I've put about 700 miles on it in the past 6 weeks. It has been my daily driver.
    I'm dropping it off on Friday morning for an alignment, corner-balancing, and to get the ride height adjusted...it rides too high for my taste... I'm not slamming it to the ground, just giving it a better stance.

At this point, it's a fun car and has been a fun project,..and though I'd like to keep it, I don't have parking for 3 Porsches. I can still get my money back out of this car, and make enough profit for some track tires for my other car, so that's the plan.

This car is NOT a show car. It's a car that was off the road for a few years, and now it's back. It may need nick-knack items...but it's a good, running and driving, reliable car now.

what does it need?
    The speedo/odometer need help...speedo works but makes a noise...and a couple weeks ago, the odo was flipping from 58,999 to 59,000 put it flipped all the way to 69,000... woops!
    I didn't rebuild the carbs, so after 4 years of sitting, they probably need that to make the car run better....but I don't find it necessary for right now.
    After that, it's small stuff... hole in the headliner....tear in the driver's seat...yada..yada... Take a look at the pictures.
    No major dents,...but the paint has lots of paint-chips, some peeling and some fading. The chips don't photograph on a white car, but assume they are there.

The ebay Buy-it-now price is set at $24k. The same price I had in the window of Cars & Coffee a couple weeks ago. I think that's a really good price for a car in this condition, that comes with an extra transmission and set of 14" wheels to go with it. In all honesty, I thought one of the C&C guys would have bought the car that day.... maybe Monterey was on everyone's mind..holding on to their money.
    I'm posting on here to give my Porsche friends a couple days notice before the listing starts.
    If you have questions...just send me a PM....

I'm offering the car here before ebay...so you have first chance ...
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davewadd; 08-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

more photos...
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

and ...more photos.....

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

I think these hood badges alone go for a few hundred bucks in this condition....

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

and....the underside.

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

a couple more of the underside and floors...

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

PM was sent
    regards

PM replied to....

Here is a little more info for everyone:

- I have the AC compressor. It was on the car, but not connected, so I removed it, but it will go with the car.
    - I have no documentation for the car prior to my buying it...but I will give you the documents for all the work I've had done.
    - the current Fuchs are 6x15 flat sixes.

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Here are the 14" chrome fuchs that are included in the sale.... center caps not included..

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

the refurbished gas tank..

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2