Thread: numbers matching engine

numbers matching engine

where do I find out the correct engine number if I have the vin number? Car for sale is supposed to be a '68 or 69 911s

You can't unless you request a COA from Porsche. The best you can do is determine whether the engine is of the correct type by its production number and type number, and whether its production number range roughly corresponds with the VIN production date. The VIN will tell you if its a 68 or 69 and T/E/S/L/etc.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher p Steimer View Post
    where do I find out the correct engine number if I have the vin number? Car for sale is supposed to be a '68 or 69 911s
    You need to do some serious homework! A 68 911S is a very different car than a 69 911S. Any Porsche enthusiast that has the least bit of background could tell the difference from a block away.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    You need to do some serious homework! A 68 911S is a very different car than a 69 911S. Any Porsche enthusiast that has the least bit of background could tell the difference from a block away.

Regards

Jim
    Jim, Congrats on being able to see a block away still.... I can't see for sh1t anymore....

In regards to the question, if you post the chassis # and the engine # we can extrapolate with the early S "registry" list that will probably have cars that are close to your chassis number on it, and you can pretty much tell if it's a matching number car

Note that if you join the Early S Registry you get a PDF of the "registry" list! One of the perks....

e

Hey Eric

I've had to resort to these to maintain my "Pilot's Eyes".

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a fuzzy photo Jim....... or maybe it's my eyes......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter