Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Schooling on Seats

Need Schooling on Seats

Hi,

Just joined the forum, so if I am missing the obvious, please be gentle!

I am acting as the "custodian" for my dad's 1967 911. A local miracle worker got it running for us after 22 years in the garage due to a failed torsion tube. Now that the heavy lifting is done and we are back on the road, I need to take on the smaller issues myself.

First up are the seats. The original seats have lost some of the spring that they used to have (at least, so my dad tells me.) They do sit quite low and the base tips forward.

Besides what I have read here in this forum, I am completely ignorant of the ins and outs of seats for this vehicle. I see a lot of allusions to a very specific hounds tooth for authenticity and progressive changes through the years.

This car has the original black leatherette seats. There center panels are black, not hounds tooth, but have a woven fabric "impression" on them. There are no head rests.

The goal is to have something comfortable, that places you in the right position, and it would be reasonably period correct. It would also be nice to have a headrest.

Option 1 could be to have the current seats rebuilt. I am hesitant because there are no tears in the seats today, but I expect the material has weakened after 45 years and it would be a real shame to have them rebuilt only to have the covers tear.

Option 2 is to store the original seats and replace with a reproduction. Here is where I need help - what is out there that would look right in this car? Here is where I need some help on the history on early 911 seats. Pointers to any excellent posts, books to read, or learned wise men to sit at the feet of would be appreciated.

Eric

Hi Eric,
    I'd say it depends on your personal taste and budget.
    If you can live without headrest (they are overrated IMHO) and you feel good after sitting on the passenger side for a long day - have the original seat repaired by a professional who knows these seats/cars.
    The material on the middle of your seats is called basketweave. Black basketweave is still available in very good quality - if it breaks it breaks - then have the cover redone, but until this happens enjoy your original cover.
    If (after sitting in the passenger seat) you're not going the way to repair your seat because the standard seat is not your choice you'll have to set your budget. If your car is pretty original and you are going to keep it that way the only way to go is for an original 67 Sport Seat which will be quite pricey and difficult to find.
    If you can't live without headrest you've got to make up your mind to what you want.
    Adding period aftermarket headrests is an option, but requires als some fabrication and disassembly of the seat. See http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post568106
    Everything apart from standard and 67 sport for a non hotrod / sports purpose car could be considered strange in my eyes.
    I have a 67 sport seat on ebay right now - see the ad in the parts for sale section. When the auction is finished you have an idea what might be needed although a redone/recovered/restored seat is IMHO less valuable (and therefore cheaper) than one in good original cover.
    Good Luck with your car

Uli
    PS: you might want to check this thread Show your seats
    Last edited by uai; 08-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Welcome to the forum, I would love to have my Dads 911.

I'd have Tony at Autobahn restore the seats reusing the the original covers, if they are correctly supported they should not tear.

The correct head rest for a 67 is the same type as used in the 356. It looks like a tube that screws to the back of the seat with two chrome brackets.

Here is a link to Autobahn
    http://www.autobahninteriors.com/
    Last edited by super9064; 08-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    Check out [url]www.vintageseats.
    You know the price range of those?

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

I, too, have the original seats in my car. They are showing their age and no longer have ANY support on the front edge of the seat. I started looking at my options and also wanted to go the 'sport route'. After having a chance to see some of the www.vintageseats.com in person and sitting in them, I wish I had not put up with my originals for so long. My new seats from VS arrive Friday. Even if you dont go the sport route I encourage you to take a look at VS and give them a call.

my new seat....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ruby911; 08-22-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Hi Eric,

I recently replaced the original standard seats in my '67 with a pair of vintage seats. I've been very happy with them.....great quality and finish. I have the original seats boxed up and stored away just in case I want to revert back to them in the future.
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

Jeff,

nice seats ! With those (tilt) sliders, do you end up sitting lower than before or about the same ? Everytime I tried replacing seats in a 911 I've ended up higher than I wanted ;-( That's keeping me from vintage seats at the moment. Thanks for any info !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I have been reading the show me your seats post - that's why I hoped I was in the right place.

What exactly is meant by a "sport" seat? The current seats have a back that tilts forward with chrome hardware on the sides. The seats shown on the vintage seats site all appear to have a fixed back with a high connecting "wall" on each side. Is this what is considered a sport seat?

But if I look at the seat that Uli is selling, as a '67 sport seat, the back looks hinged. So, is that a sport seat also?

How wide are the seats sold at vintage seats? My dad is, well a little wider than he was 44 years ago, and he is a little concerned with getting in and out of on of those.

I forgot to bring pictures with me today - I will try to post some tonight.

Eric

Stock 47 year old seats

Hi Eric,
    Give me a ping, and I'll let you and your dad try these:

The black vinyl seats are period items and still comfortable for 10-12 hour drives, and very easy to get in and out of.

The houndstooth passenger seat is brought back to original stuffing on original springs and has a good "sit".
    The drivers seat is a 911R style sport seat, it's mounted with a custom slider to accommodate both drivers,
    5'4 and 5'11". Don't even think about getting into it if the belt size is larger than a 36". Fanny in first, feet last.

Just let me know which you would like to sit in.

I'm over in Linden Hills.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Where did you get these?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Hi Eric,

I recently replaced the original standard seats in my '67 with a pair of vintage seats. I've been very happy with them.....great quality and finish. I have the original seats boxed up and stored away just in case I want to revert back to them in the future.