Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the young people at car shows ?

Where are all the young people at car shows ?

Interesting article in Canada's national paper, The Globe and Mail http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4480422/

I attended the Fleetwood Country Cruise-in this year, as it's just down the road. I did notice a lot of grey hair. It does make me wonder what the demand for our early 911s will be in another decade or so.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I am more concerned with the affordability of fuel in the coming years that allows me to operate my vehicle. As technology advances there will be fewer petroleum based vehicles will be on the road. As it is if I want to get high octane fuel I need to travel and pay a premium for it. In the future it will be harder to come by "standard" fuel and cost even more.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

They are at home driving their Ferrari's on their big screens. I just read a article that google and unnamed car companies have a goal of driverless cars in the next 10 years or so. Then people can go down the road driving their Ferrari's on their 3D screens while the car drives itself and them to their destination.

"That's not a real puppy."

member #1515
    Please define "young"
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Busy at work trying to earn enough money to afford early911s? =)
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    They are at home driving their Ferrari's on their big screens.
    Google's driverless cars occupied by people driving their fantasy rides is pretty funny Chris... but the "avatar" motoring life is spot on.
    There is youthful interest in VW and vintage Japanese circles, but not the level of previous generations. Computer-age kids aren't as
    invested in car culture for a variety of reasons. Higher expense and less access, satisfaction with urban life and mass transit... and a
    sim of a supercar holds much of the excitment and entertainment that can be paused until next play time.

I've noticed at some car shows plenty of kids are present, at others much less. Probably a factor of type of show: Cavallino, Pebble,
    Porsche 356 gatherings, few kids... local show & shine or rod gathering, plenty in tow and wandering around the cars asking questions.

I'd be happy to see alternative fuel cars replace the current aging fleet... instead of less gas, that's more (better be unblended E!)
    for users of older cars. Just hoping that in the coming years, driving something from the '50s-'70s regularly remains a practical.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

My son, 21 year old, likes imports but high-performance Japanese cars especially. He likes drifters etc. I think we are seeing a greater offering and thus a broadening of interests. He went with me to the Historics just like his older sister likes to do. By he prefers tuner cars-small displacement/high-performance cars. They are, of course, much more affordable.

My 2 cents.

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

They've been priced out of the market.

Ten years ago, obtaining an early Porsche was an obtainable dream for your average young middle-class individual. Now...they're investments for well-to-do individuals.

To be honest I'm 60 and don't have kids. The closest I come to games on the computer is solitaire. I still surf, ski, shoot, bike, etc. My virtual world is between my ears designing parts for my POLO car. The internet is my library and place of business. But in 20 to 25 years if I'm fortunate enough to be around, the roads might be a safer place if the car is doing the driving. And many of us will still have the freedom of movement that babyboomers are so accustomed to.
    I have to admit I laugh a little at the Toyota add, "That's not a real puppy," in the way others laugh at "where's my stapler." By the way, where is my stapler. One should never take themselves too seriously, as we might be the only ones who do.
    The kid's playing games or texting their friends in New Zealand while going down the road...
    That's not a put down, it just shows how much the world has changed from when our Porsches were new. I was working for $1.35 a hour and studing, "How to keep your Volkswagon alive for the complete idiot" by John Muir on a spiral bound notebook! I could't afford the $18.00 hr shop rate. I feel very fortunite to have lived at the beach in SoCal in the 50's and 60's and Aspen and Sun Valley in the 70's. My grandfather sold lots ON the strand in Manhattan beach in the 40's for $400.00 and it was a tuff sell. My parents bought their first house there for $2700.00 2 blocks off the beach and stressed over the $40.00 a month payments. If you live in Hermosa look up 1940 Bay View Dr. It'a a BIG house by the standards of the late 50's. They paid $24,000 for that house. For them that was all the money in the world. I think about what I've seen so far. Will there actually be roads as we define them now in 50 to 70 years? Just imagine what the sub 30 folks are going to experience in their lifetime. WOW.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-21-2012 at 02:53 PM.

member #1515
    My son and his friends like cars, but they have many more distractions than my generation. Anything to do with computers and basketball. But none of them has any interest in the mechanics of cars, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that today's cars are not "fixable" from a normal get your hands dirty kind of approach.
    Even racing has changed much the same way, when I started, I knew how to change gear ratios, adjust roll bar and spring settings, wrench my own car. Today's racers show up at a track, can't change anything and an engineer hears there comments and moves things around. Then they are shown a computer graphic showing exactly why and where they are slow. There is no mechanical "sympathy" between drivers and cars.
    I'm working on my grandaughter though.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs