Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where is the current market...

So where is the current market...

For a 4 cam 356 GT coupe. They used to be a hot item. Have they all disappeared in favor of the interest in the S cars? I would love to find one to restore...

Speedo
    registry# 1283

GS/GT 356's are still on the rise, but so many sales are private with these cars, you don't see them often.
    I know of a nice car with two motors that sold a couple of years ago for $225,000 and that was a steal.

Top prices for perfect cars are closing in on $400,000... expect $160K + for a driver, which leaves some resto upside.
    No telling for a basket case, but 4-cam rebuilds are $100 grand. The good news is Capricorn in Germany sells new ones!

http://www.capricorngroup.net/no_cac...haeltlich.html
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

GS/GTs are becoming seriously expensive. After the 550 sold at Amelia sold for 3.2M, prices for GS/GT Speedsters went crazy. Current market for a 59 plain Bearing GT Speedster is over $1M. Roller bearing GT Speedsters are over $750k and GS Speedsters are $600+. Coupes are rising similarly - anything under $400k for a 4 cam coupe is a steal if the motor is good. Although the 4 cams are being repro'd, the cost of a repro motor exceeds $100k.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Where do these cars go? Is it between Europe and the US or also new continents? Any idea what feeds the current interest so much that prices literary jumps instead of grows? Is there a typical buyer of these cars?

Richard

One of our esteemed members (Rolly) had his GS Carrera written up in a recent Excellence. 4 Cam engines are not for the faint of heart. A 4 Cam rebuild makes a 911 rebuild look like a trip to Walmart.
    They are jewel like productions that are as pleasing to look at as to drive.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Once cars move to a certain level the market becomes rather private. Even if the car is at an auction you will never see the seller - or the buyer. The rich guys have brokers who take care of all those messy details. In my world it just doesn't matter what a GS/GT is worth. I will never ever be able to afford one.

Richard Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Once cars move to a certain level the market becomes rather private. Even if the car is at an auction you will never see the seller - or the buyer. The rich guys have brokers who take care of all those messy details. In my world it just doesn't matter what a GS/GT is worth. I will never ever be able to afford one.

Richard Newton
    Richard to me it's not of interest what it's worth, but if it's temporary (for instance due to the Euro crisis) of that the demand has grown due to more people having collections, new collectors (China?, South America?), etc. Just to get a feeling what is happening.

Richard

Looks like they made the GS/GTs from 57 through 64? And they all were four cam? I understand that there were two different four cam variations (early and late). What causes the value between the years to vary so much assuming of course that the cars are in similar prep and condition, and understanding that cars with known race heritage command a premium? Yeah, I know I could post this over on the 356 registry...but you guys are more fun (read: spirited)
    registry# 1283

Lightbulb

They have one over at European Collectables .... ask Jeff Trask how much?
    http://www.europeancollectables.com/...nv_id=Po2625-1

BTW- That's 'the car that got away' from me when I was 28 ...
    Dr.'s project that wanted out:
    Body done - in red primer.
    Motor complete.
    All trim and plex.
    Extra set of Carrera wheels.
    The rest - complete in boxes.

$7850
    ........ I'll always remember that then unattainable 1977 price......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Shoulda' Coulda' Woulda'. But didn't. Been there.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111