Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Wood Dashboard

Refinishing Wood Dashboard

After living with my new ride for a few months, I decided I have to refinish the dash.

While I apprecaiate the history of the autocrossing and rallying plaques from the previous owner, they didn't have the personal meaning for me, and well, I just like the look of the wood so much. So, inspired by Freddie Hernandez, I jumped into the project last weekend. Sometimes being naive gets me in trouble, (see this thread postings 9 and 10) but the disassembly eventually went OK once I got the monster original AC unit out of the way.

The sanding went well, albeit not all the pieces seem to be exactly the same shade - it's subtle (you can kinda see it in the last pic below - look at the top and bottom longer pieces) - maybe it's just natural wood variation. I'm getting ready now for the "sealer". One question I am still trying to figure out is shade of stain and whether it should be satin or semi gloss. Here's where I am so far...

Last edited by luke-44; 08-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Good for you to tackle this. I have wondered how I was going to do my early 911's wooden dash. I noticed this page-

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ood#post568842

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Good for you to tackle this. I have wondered how I was going to do my early 911's wooden dash. I noticed this page-

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ood#post568842

Haasman
    Yup, I also found that one too as well as Freddies. The devil is in the details though. I see Magnus used a wood sealer like I did and Freddie as well. But it looks like Magnus also used a stain and then a clear top coat (3 cans in the pictures). The question is: what stain best replicates the factory finish and color?

I put on sealer and a clear top coat (satin) last night, but I'm not happy with it... while I like the result from the color without stain, I am now thinking semi gloss instead of satin. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by luke-44; 08-28-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Hi Luke,
    I did this job a while back. I did use a light mahogany stain and a satin finish. I am pretty happy with the result.
    Good luck
    Bob M

member #1515
    I don't think Mahogany needs a stain, although a sealer certainly helps. You can always do Semi gloss first and then give it a shot of satin for the last coat.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Gee, it's your car but that strikes me like refinishing a patinated antique so that it looks store bought new. I think that it was the single most interesting detail on a very nice piece.

Has anyone found a method for restoring pieces that have curled at the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    After living with my new ride for a few months, I decided I have to refinish the dash.

While I apprecaiate the history of the autocrossing and rallying plaques from the previous owner, they didn't have the personal meaning for me, and well, I just like the look of the wood so much. So, inspired by Freddie Hernandez, I jumped into the project last weekend. Sometimes being naive gets me in trouble, (see this thread postings 9 and 10) but the disassembly eventually went OK once I got the monster original AC unit out of the way.

The sanding went well, albeit not all the pieces seem to be exactly the same shade - it's subtle (you can kinda see it in the last pic below - look at the top and bottom longer pieces) - maybe it's just natural wood variation. I'm getting ready now for the "sealer". One question I am still trying to figure out is shade of stain and whether it should be satin or semi gloss. Here's where I am so far...

Is that script silver or gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Is that script silver or gold?
    Definitely silver.

Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post
    Gee, it's your car but that strikes me like refinishing a patinated antique so that it looks store bought new. I think that it was the single most interesting detail on a very nice piece.
    Good point, appreciate the comment. I did wrestle with the decision. In the end, the condition of the wood (and saving it), which was cracking was a major consideration, and basically the initial reaction of people seeing the car for the first time (mine included) was "nice car but ugh...too bad about the dash". While patina, it was hardly "pretty patina" if you know what I mean.

Fundamentally it comes down to the same decision on all these things. Do you leave an old original muffler? The original but worn out carpet? The wrong door latch? The faded but original headliner? Worn out seats? The tape he put on the front driving lights (that were photographed so prominantely in Leffingwells book where the car is displayed for the '66 model year)? Where does it stop or start? Is originality as it came from the factory, or as the po left it? The rest of the interior is virtually like new, and in the end I decided the plaques looked out of place.

Tough question especially with a one owner car, no easy answer and I can see how someone else comes to a different conclusion. I spoke with 2 well respected restorers on this board - one advised "drive it for a while - but think twice before removing them". The other, without hesitation, said "change it". In the end I decided the cars rally and autocrossing history was not mine, it was the previous owners - an important part of the cars history for sure, but not to be displayed so prominantely. The car has entered a new chapter in its life. I am documenting my work - it's not exactly "store bought", and as I see it, it just becomes another chapter of the cars history. Hopefully it gets remembered as a step taken by an owner who cared very much about the car.

One plan I had was to duplicate the dashboard and swap it out, but I got only one response and no email reply to buy a second dash which didn't really surprise me. While the wood can be bought or made, the aluminum channels are impossible.

I am keeping the plaques and will display them tastefully with the cars records. I also plan to retain many of the bigger pieces he changed (some or all of: front bumper, exhaust, wheels for example) as his ownership evolved in the '70's and he changed the car to his version of what he liked. But, I may set it up to swap these out for my own style to please myself, while retaining the next owners right to put it back the way it was.
    Last edited by luke-44; 08-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.