Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro/eBay car critique request

Intro/eBay car critique request

Hi there everyone, great forum. After being a member of many over the years I can honestly say you all have the most impressive knowledge base I've had the pleasure of lurking through on your hands here.

I'm a life long 911 fan with a relatively recent interest in the long hood cars. An S is probably out of my reach price wise but ive taken a bit of an interest in some of the other models especially when they have a taste of the R Gruppe vibe about them.

I'm still doing some learning and will probably not be a bidder on this car but if anyone has a spare moment to let me know what you think of it in regards to modifications, tastefulness, rough estimate of value and just an opinion of whether or not you think cars in this genre represent a reasonable investment or if it'd be wiser so seek more originality in an early 911 and perhaps reserve hot rodding for a later model I would greatly appreciate it.

You are probably familiar with this car as many of you seem to be keen observers of the market, one of you may even have built it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...#ht_8669wt_960

Thanks very much, and again, great forum!

Alex

Probably the most vague/generic representations I've seen in a day or two. Sure didn't give up much under either the hood or engine compartment BUT they are proud of the seats. The possibilities here are endless.

Patience is a virtue.

Good hunting.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hey Alex,

Welcome. As someone born in Elkins and who lived in Greenbank for many years, take it from another mountaineer and skip this one. It sure wasn't built by anyone here. Strickly an amature production. If you think an S is "probably" out of reach, than you have a budget that would allow you to buy some of the truely artful creations by some of the people here, several of which have recently gone up for sale.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Alex-7 "Become a student of the subject" as they say. This eBay car is, in my opinion, not something I would be looking at. But if it does interest you, go see it. You are not too far away to view it. Have you looked at other cars?

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Car sat for many years in Pennsylvania and was recently brought back to life and sold by a car dealer in Pa. who had it listed on ebay earlier this summer where it sold in the neighborhood of $16.5k (presumeably to the dealer who is trying to resell it on ebay right now). First dealer in Pa. had no history on the motor, not much history on the rest of the car but did say all the mods were completed before the car was put away many years ago. Car looks as is from the first auction so I doubt not much, if anything, was done to the car in between the two ebay sales.

I can second what nickb4 stated... saw the car as well on ebay earlier this summer with exactly the same pictures - I remember the airport background...
    C
    EarlyS #2333
    1970 911T Coupe black/black
    2013 991S 50y Anniversary Edition #206

Sithot: they sure do blast those seats in that listing! And the typically vague dealer description is always concerning with such a modified car.

Northernthrux: Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation of playing a pass card. I'm a transplant to this region, there seem to be some great roads. I'd love to wind up with a documented well built car from a trusted member of this community. I'll be watching the market and learning in the mean time.

Haaasman: Looking forward to my studies. I've been thoroughly into many cars over the years to the point that I always felt I could buy with confidence. Porsches are a different story. As a historian 911's as a subjet matter have always reminded me a little bit of WW2, in that the people who know anything about them seem to know everything about them, and lightly dabbling in the subject is a good way to get burned on a car or humbled in a debate, respectively.

nickb4/cooper77: thats exactly the type of dirt I was hoping for.

Thank you all for your advice. This will be my first significant car, and first 911. Still trying to figure out a formula that will keep me smiling for years to come. Like a lot of you a 911 has always just been a matter of "when". I feel like I'm going to have a garage queen I'd rather it be something like a 360 Modena than a very original early 911. That's what's attracted me to some of these more useable, better performing cars. If I'm going to reach to get my hands on something, I intend to use the hell out of it.

PM sent.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Albert blue is a great color. I know the person that bought the car from the dealer this summer. He did get a great deal on the car but also had to put in all the time to sort it and also changed out the wheels. I wouldn't buy an old 911 sight unseen but I have certainly seen worse deals out there. I didn't spend much time looking over the car but it was running good and I didn't see any rust. Also, Speedsport tuning is next door so they could be a good neutral party to assist with a pre buy. Seems Huntingridge have the ability to move early 911s and I haven't heard any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan911 View Post
    Albert blue is a great color. I know the person that bought the car from the dealer this summer. He did get a great deal on the car but also had to put in all the time to sort it and also changed out the wheels. I wouldn't buy an old 911 sight unseen but I have certainly seen worse deals out there. I didn't spend much time looking over the car but it was running good and I didn't see any rust. Also, Speedsport tuning is next door so they could be a good neutral party to assist with a pre buy. Seems Huntingridge have the ability to move early 911s and I haven't heard any complaints.
    ...Really?