Thread: Exhaust Port Advice?

Exhaust Port Advice?

More reason to hate the PO. Unfortunately, he's related.
    1968 911 Sportomatic with the 911 (no alpha ) engine. About 60K miles.

Project has been going on slowly for a long time but car has not been driven since I acquired it.
    Engine on stand, about to replace oil return tubes. Started to remove exhaust system for better access when I noticed the exhaust system was only finger tight. There was a mixture of studs with nuts, engine head bolts, 8mm hex bolts, etc. One of them was an SAE 5/16 - 18 self threading bolt. As the photo shows, that flange was pretty messed up.

So, now, aside from replacing the head is there any hope of repairing this damage.
    Name:  ExhaustPort.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  84.1 KB
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

From this angle it seems as though a highly experienced machine shop that repairs (welds) aluminum heads should be able to fix that.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I agree. Should be able to thread the right stud in there and spot weld it for a perminate fix.

Chris

The fix would rather be to fill (beef) up the area by WIG or MIG welding, plane the surface and redrill the threaded bore. Not a big deal, i did it several times on variuos applications.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by crummasel View Post
    The fix would rather be to fill (beef) up the area by WIG or MIG welding, plane the surface and redrill the threaded bore. Not a big deal, i did it several times on variuos applications.
    Robert
    I would second that - please preheat the area properly prior to welding!

Cheers,
    Christian
    RGruppe #649
    Early911S #1788

Thanks for the responses. I took the engine to a machinist who works on Porsche engines. The air injection tube is pretty much in the way while trying to build up the area. The head will be coming off, I already have a new, never used one with same part number and date code. If it can't be fixed with the head off then the new one goes on. And, as long as we're in there..... I'll probably have a long list to consider. The engine has accumulated only about 200 miles in the last 20 years.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster