Thread: Mercedes-Bemnz 300 SL Roadster rolling chassis

Mercedes-Bemnz 300 SL Roadster rolling chassis

As promised in the "next to last Canepa's C & C" thread, here's a series of photos of a rolling '61 M-B 300SL Roadster chassis.

To see a 300SL Roadster is a rare enough event, with only 1858 produced from '57 through '63, to see one without its beautifully shaped body mounted so you can study the chassis, suspension and witness the engineering that went into these seminal cars is a revelation.
    internally referred to as the W 198 Series, the 300 SL Series began with the "Gullwing" Coupe, with 1400 total produced from '54 through '57, 1371 in steel and 29 with aluminum bodies. As is well known, it was the very high sills, a consequence of the specific space frame configuration, with torsional stiffness being the first consideration of the designers, that necessitated the introduction of the famous roof-hinged doors, not only making entry & exit very awkward and uncomfortable, especially for women, but the resulting "S" shaped cross section of the doors made wind-down windows impossible to incorporate, resulting in an almost total lack of ventilation and airflow in the Coupe's interior.

In 1957 M-B introduced the W198-II 300SL Roadster. It was based directly on the Gullwing Coupe, but had much lower sills to enable the car to be designed with normal front-hinged doors with roll-down windows and numerous additional luxury touches. That made getting in & out a far more conventional exercise, with the folding top taking care of any remaining ventilation problems, solving both of the Coupe's main Achilles heels.

The Roadsters had the same 3.0 liter, in-line 6-cylinder SOHC slightly undersquare, dry-sumped motor tilted at 50 degrees for lower CG and better aerodynamics as the Coupes, making 215 HP @ 5800 rpm. The W-198 Series cars were the first mechanically fuel injected production cars in the world, the Bosch injection systems being directly based on the design used in the Mercedes-built Messerschmidt airplane engines of WW II.

Front suspension was by means of double wishbones with coil springs, tubular shocks and anti-roll bar. To improve handling over the Gullwing Coupe, rear suspension was changed from the original high-pivot swing-axle system of the Coupe to a newly designed low-pivot swing axle with the ingenious transverse compensator spring, coil springs, tubular shocks and pivoting radius arms. Both, the Coupe and the Roadster were built on a 2400mm ( 94.5 ") wheelbase. Four speed, fully synchronized gearboxes mounted to the rear of the engine were used. A recirculating ball steering box was mounted in an asymmetrically braced part of the forward frame structure. Large cast drum brakes were used at all four corners. So much of these details are revealed in these photos.

Interestingly and fascinatingly, a name so prominent in the earliest stages of Porsche's history in the US as well, was also chiefly responsible for convincing management in Untertürckheim to create these iconic sporty roadsters - Max Hoffmann, the ex-pat Austrian whose ideas went such a long way to popularize and romanticize the two respective marques in post-war America.

The photos are arranged more or less in a front-to-rear sequence. I apologize for the lack of ultimate detail in some areas , but it was tricky lighting and without an appropriately colored, featureless background, and given the reflective, glossy black paint treatment on the entire chassis I had to perform some post-processing I would not have done if the photos had come out more illustrative.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

......and five more. The large felt-padded- tubing enclosed, irregular volume to the rear of the differential is to provide space for a 26.4 gallon gas-tank ( 34.3 gallons in Coupes ) to enable the cars to realize the cruising range between fill-ups Hoffman felt American clients expected in their GTs.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

......and the final three.

John, I encourage you to add any photographs which you might have taken of the body which this chassis is awaiting. I'm sorry that I don't have any of my own.

While the bare chassis is a work of art in and of itself, Mr. Canepa is most proud of the carrosserie being executed in the adjacent work-area. He has enticed a new body man to join the team, a true artist. One evening I paid a visit to the shop to pick up something on behalf of a mutual friend, and Mr. Canepa showed me around the wonderful metalwork happening on this Roadster. Most 300SL's voluptuous curves have come through their 50-odd years with a few bruises. These dents and dings were often repaired with a quick pull and a bit of filler -- and the filler applied to most of these curvy beauties has added up over the decades. This car is to employ the repair of a 300SL in real metal, removing all filler. I've been watching the painstaking artisanal process of renewal since late May and it has been exceptional in its quality. The finishing touches on this special client's Roadster will be a balanced-and-blueprinted 250+hp Ed Pink motor, a 5-speed conversion inside the original transmission case, hidden A/C, and matching Nardi steering wheel and gearshift knob, topped-off by a very special paint color.

-- David

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    John, I encourage you to add any photographs which you might have taken of the body which this chassis is awaiting. I'm sorry that I don't have any of my own.

-- David
    Happy to do it, David, but please note that no matter how fastidious the metal work, it's difficult to completely negate the need for some filler in some places, what with the use of lead nowadays being tantamount to using fissionable plutonium in California, I can fully understand the use of some plastic filler, since it does appear to be just that on this car, a thin film of filler.

The work indeed seems to be of a high caliber, and I really found an under-the-skin inspection of the body to be educational, enlightening and interesting. I found the welded box-like structure ahead of the door-hinge post on the inner front fender to be a particularly elegant solution to address potential twisting of the Roadster frame, since it has conventional doors, and thus looses some of the stiffness inherent in Gullwing Coupes with their higher sill structure.

David, I think this calls for another trip to Scotts Valley for a follow-up report when chassis & body are united. Your occasionally checking on the status of this restoration & letting me know when it would be a good time for a final wrap-up would be much appreciated. Lunch will be on me.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-10-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Update for JZG: Body is currently being test-fitted to the rolling chassis; the transmission is done, the chrome is coming into the shop. The car should be going into paint in the next few weeks, depending on other shop demands. It will be painted in a custom-blended shade of dark blue, with matching hardtop. The interior is to be trimmed in the factory pattern in a very non-factory saddle brown leather with a matching brown soft top. The car should be stunning.

Thank you, David.........very thoughtful ! What a beautiful evolution.

Ample reason to stay current on this project and get down there as soon as the body is out of paint and document the next chapter

JZG

Happy Holidays!

Lately the Guv'nor has been shaking-down this Polo pony -- and he says that she's just about as sweet a little filly as can be:

John, great to see your pictures of the Mercedes. Fun walking around that day admiring the details. Even the the simple felt strips all along the frame are impressive.

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709