Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle bodies advice

Throttle bodies advice

My 72 911T, MFI - was rebuilt recently - it ran pretty bad initially but we're 90% of the way to a perfect engine now. I drove it hard for the first time today, it was great, 90% great ;-) The remaining obstacle according to the mechanic is my throttle bodies... One of them has a throttle stop that snapped, and by and large they worn out and hard to get a perfect adjustment for.

I haven't had the car for over a year and I really don't want to leave it parked at the shop any longer than necessary. The thought was to drive it as is (it's pretty good now, just not perfect) and find a set of ITBs and have those "reconditioned".

Questions: - Are they year or model specific, or groups of years, or identical between T/E/S ? Sorry if that's stupid, I have no idea... first MFI car !
    - What do they go for in bad / good condition ? (ballpark)
    - Assuming bad, who rebuilds these like new ?
    - Am I better off financially sending mine in, or is a spare set doable for not much more money ?

thanks!
    Last edited by Greg D.; 09-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

69-71 TB are different from 72-73
    Different linkage stops and the stacks are plastic in the later years and have integral cold start vs. the pisser in the aircleaner of the early setup

T, E, S have different bores, just like the heads. 29, 32, 36mm bore or something like that
    Bad condition (which is all of them) core sets 300-500
    eurometrix.ws to rebuild them
    You are better off sending yours in to be rebuilt, no reason to have extras floating around, as long as you don't mind the downtime, takes 8 weeks or something
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

That covers it all, thank you ! I do mind 8 weeks, though. Bought the car last year and drove it twice since ;-)
    Since it's drivable as is, (immensely better than last month), I think I will try it for a while and see how much there is to be gained vs. cost... Thanks again !

Edit: I see eurometrix wants about $1500+ to rebuild mine.
    Used sets appear to be in the 500-600 range in "presumably OK" but no guarantees they are better than mine, except for the broken stop that is currently rigged...
    Tough one, I already spent $$$ on that engine in the last year, a little more may not kill me but it's also not trivial.
    Last edited by Greg D.; 09-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Piece of practical advice ... if the car is drivable as is, use it.

Go out and buy a set of TB that need to be reconditioned and send them to Eurometrix. That way you can drive the car while the work is being done. Then, when you get the TBs back from Matt, swap 'em out. This way will cost you a bit more (because you have to buy the cores) but it minimizes down time which is always nice.

Then you can sell the ones out of your car as cores to recoup the core money.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Matt sure does nice work. He did mine

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

+1 for Eurometrix. Don’t try to settle with a cheaper alternative, you WILL end up regretting it.

member #1515
    Good throttle bodies make a HUGE difference in drivability on a MFI car and eurometrix does a great job. My mechanic here in San Antonio does great rebuilds too, but most don't do this in house.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I'm going to get a set of cores and have them rebuilt, mostly because mine have a stop that is broken clean off, not sure they are rebuildable. I want to be sure I get the correct ones though because they are not cheap.

PET catalog seems to indicate a 1972 911 "T-E" gets 911 110 081 00 (R) and 911 110 081 10 (Left) - doesn't specify inlet outlet sizes.
    Most Ebay vendors seem to go by sizes or year and don't mention specifics: 38mm/32mm or 28mm (only one number), or 30.... not sure I can trust that...

I found this on the site:

72T
    top opening of stack.................35mm
    bottom opening of stack............32mm
    top opening of throttle body.......38mm
    bottom opening of throttle body..29mm
    Cylinder intake port ..................29mm - so my car's TBs should be 38/29 then? which already contradicts 38/32 listed by the most likely vendor I had found so far... Ugh...

Can anyone confirm what should be on a 72T MFI, US model? Are the above part # correct and if so, what size are they ?
    My car is not closeby, and for that matter it may not have the correct original part... I'll call the mechanic to see if they can spot the part # without pulling them off again. I'd like to make sure I buy and send the right stuff to eurometrix - I called them too, but no reply yet ! Thanks !
    Last edited by Greg D.; 09-13-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

While it would be good to get definite answers on the above for the next guy, I will close this by saying I just heard back from Eurometrix.. .

He's got cores that are actually several hundred dollars *cheaper* than what you can find on Ebay, except for some little piece he can cannibalize from mine (which is not rebuildable anyway due to the broken stop).

So there is no point in getting spare set, I can drive mine "as is" until he's ready with the rebuilt one (8 weeks) - then send fedex him the small bit he wants (pivot bell or something) and be down for just a few days - while he cleans it and puts it on his refurbished one and mail them back to me... Sounds like a great guy to boot !

Granted, core + rebuild +some shipping back and forth and we're flirting with 2 grand, but at this point (full engine redo, full body repaint), I might as well get a car that drives as nice as it looks ! I will never complain about my 912's webers anymore, either ;-)
    Last edited by Greg D.; 09-13-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg

If you need a set of 2.4T MFI stacks or throttle bodies let me know. I have a shelf full of them.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress