Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction/Tracking Down Grandmothers Early 911

Introduction/Tracking Down Grandmothers Early 911

I have been a Porsche fanatic since I was a kid (although some may still consider me a kid at 24 yrs old) and have been on Porsche forums (Rennlist, Pelican) lurking around for quite some time. Living in the Bay Area has exposed me to amazing car culture and has fed my Porsche addiction and hopefully I will feed this addiction with my first Porsche in the near future.

Now for the second and more interesting part of my story. It seams that the Porsche addiction runs in my blood as my grandma has been a Porsche fan all her life and owned two early 911. I have very little information about the cars but I figured if there is anywhere that I could find them this would be the place to go. So here is the little information I have according to my grandma.

The first car was what my grandmas children (my father and uncle) affectionately referred to as "pee yellow" and served as her "training Porsche" before my grandpa would buy her a new 911. She bought it used from a gentleman in Piedmont,CA in 1968 when it was "well used" which leads me to believe that it was an early SWB 911. My grandma is about 90% sure that the license plate was 179 DED (100% sure that this was one of the two Porsche's she owned license plate).

After owning the yellow 911 for about a year she bought a new pastel blue 1969 911s from McPeak Motors in Walnut Creek. Shortly after she was rear ended at the corner of Mt. Diablo Rd and Moraga Rd. in Lafayette,CA in which she also damaged the front end on the car in front of her. Fortunately a police officer was waiting in the parking lot next to hear and documented the entire accident. The car was not salvaged although according to her it was never quite the same after (pulled a bit under braking) and it spent several months back at McPeak motors being repaired. After the accident she drove the car as her daily driver including several trips every year to Tahoe until it was sold in 1979 at auction so I would not be surprised if there was some rust and high mileage. This is where the trail ends for both cars. It would mean a lot to me and my family to find these cars and any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are a kid! Welcome and good luck in your search...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Keep digging and you'll find something. There are bound to be some photos, etc.
    Sometimes it skips a generation....
    H

PS - California plate 179 DED would be too early of a sequence for a 1969 vehicle. Must've been on your grandmother's first Porsche.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Get Those VINs

Quote Originally Posted by 911hunt View Post
    . . . been a Porsche fanatic since I was a kid . . . seems that the Porsche addiction runs in my blood as my grandma has been a Porsche fan all her life and owned two early 911 . . . The first car was . . . affectionately referred to as "pee yellow" . . . her "training Porsche" . . . bought it used from a gentleman in Piedmont, CA in 1968 . . . grandma is about 90% sure that the license plate was 179 DED . . .
    Hmm . . . a lot going on here. You really need to find out what that VIN on Gramma's car was

1st off --- the plate. 3-numbers + 3-letters would be a blue-plate, issued ~'71. Which doesn't match-up w/ the dates you've given. So ask Gramma if the plates on her pee-car were black . . . 'cause if they were, it's likely that the tags were the reverse . . . DED 179. And a black CA 'D' plate would've been issued ~'64

If Gramma's car was a black 'D' plate, then I would collect any pictures of/paperwork for this car --- old insurance papers/service records/registration tags/etc . . . then get over to the 1964 911 Registry. Also, hit CA DMV and research that VIN. Even if the car was NOT a '64, at the very least, you'll be able to confirm the tag

Then? . . . I'd sit down with Gramma, have her tell me The Story

Quote Originally Posted by 911hunt View Post
    . . . After owning the yellow 911 for about a year she bought a new pastel blue 1969 911s from McPeak Motors in Walnut Creek . . . drove the car as her daily driver . . . until it was sold in 1979 at auction . . . would mean a lot to me and my family to find these cars . . .
    Hmmm. Ditto on finding out the VIN, CA DMV, etc

Pastel blue '69 S, huh? Not many o' those . . .

Funny thing is . . . there's a car just like that that turned up in AZ, about a year-and-a-half, ago . . . getting restored back East some where . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=pastel

What're the odds?

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,
    I immediately thought of the above car as well, but that is Crystal Blue, not Pastel.

911hunt,
    +1 on the sit down with Grandma and sifting through the old photo albums or fire box with old car registrations, etc. You need to go full on sleuth, and you will find something.

Good luck with you search!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . I immediately thought of the above car as well, but that is Crystal Blue, not Pastel . . .
    Hey, Bryce! . . .

Yeah-yeah-yeah --- WE know that . . . but maybe Gramma's not so up on her Porsche color names . . . so I'm just gonna take that leap

I just hope the Guy can come up with some VINs . . .

. . . 'cause finding out about Grammas' cars is one of the things this Registry is for

We Can Be Heroes

Wonder how this turned-out . . .

One-time Poster --- off since Nov '12

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Our young friend may have realized that even if he found grandma's whip that it would probably take a year's salary to purchase it.
    I agree: Always nice to hear follow up.

If I were to look for my grandmother's cars there is no doubt in my mind that there are all in station wagon heaven by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . Our young friend may have realized that even if he found grandma's whip that it would probably take a year's salary to purchase it . . .
    Hhh

I hope nobody ever avoids Our Little Corner because of any perceptions about finances

I know-I know . . . money's always in there --- somewhere

But --- speaking as someone who couldn't afford to buy his own car now . . .

. . . I hope that interest in/curiosity about Early 911s always makes people feel welcome here . . .

. . . and willing to share
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-24-2013 at 12:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes