Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1968 COA question re: interior color and a few other items

1968 COA question re: interior color and a few other items

Got my COA because I was curious about my interior for some reason. I know the COAs are often inaccurate. But it does show engine, trans and color are correct.

Maybe someone can shed some light on a few things. My car is a 1968 normal. My questions relate to
    1) Factory front and rear anti-sway bars on the car, but do not appear on the COA
    2) Interior was black vinyl comfort seats. I know from one of the POs that the front seats had been swapped out, and I replaced those with sport seats. Door cards, interior trim are rear seats are black. COA says "beige leatherette" for interior and headrests L/R
    3) COA says "tinted glass all around," but all glass is clear

So, I think COA is wrong with respect to 1), rear sway bar brackets look original. Regarding 3), I don't think someone would swap out all the glass, so that's probably wrong. With 2) is there some sort of "tell" that would remain from an interior swap? Car is 6803/Ossi blue, if that matters.

Other options on my COA:
    Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" Nr. 987380 (is this the serial no. of the radio?)
    loudspeaker
    antenna
    ventilated chrome wheels
    Pirelli tires (165/15)

Shouldn't "US equipment" be listed for all the air pump crap?
    Finally, it says for MSRP "information not available." Does Porsche normally leave that blank?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Unless the car was a true one owner unrestored survivor with the original owner sworn on no changes anything could have been done in 44 years. If your car was restored then most definitely the interior color could have been switched. The glass is also an easy change especially if someone wanted it for an S.

Don

I ordered the COA's for my '68's also (I have 2). No msrp info and I've been told and can confirm that they can't always be trusted. A shame for a 100+ bucks, but the truth.

Cool, another '68 Ossi Blue with Beige/Tan interior.

My car has no COA (yet) but has clear glass, no sway bars at either end and has had a '70's interior swap out with black leather and plain door panels. Currently talking wth Theo from MA for the correct interior... Only other options that I'm fairly sure about are 5.5" Fuchs and woodtrim on lower dash.
    '68T Ossiblau #5366

I thought all MY 68 911 came equipped with front and rear sway bars and therefore would not be listed on the COA. My COA was totally accurate except for the engine. My car was a 911 normal and the COA came back showing the car was an "S". Other than that, my COA was accurate. Mine was unrestored so it was easy to verify the red interior and S gauges, etc.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 09-18-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Are your door panels stock 68 style? If so, they may have been swapped even as far back as before delivery from the dealer. While I was at the dealership (72-79), it was not uncommon to do a interior swap if a customer didn't like the color. Just to say it may have happened.
    H

Harvey,
    Yes, my door panels are the stock 68 style (basket weave).

gsjohnson,
    At least NZ68T is saying his weren't standard. I believe in at least some LWB cars they were optional. They were standard on S's, but optional on other models, no?

I am going to try and reach some of the POs again.
    Last edited by 911scfanatic; 09-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    +1, Gary Emory remembers very well doing swaps to make a "sale" back at the dealership he was at (Chick Iverson). IT was VERY common, according to Emory.
    I think a lot of dealers did that back in the early 70s and 80s with all makes of cars. My dad bought a couple of new BMWs during that period and in both cases had the interior swapped from vinyl to cloth. It sounds like it was "first come, first served"!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

Interesting. I would have never guessed that interior swaps would have been permitted, let alone common.

What are your thoughts on the sway bars and the glass?
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic View Post
    Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" Nr. 987380 (is this the serial no. of the radio?)?
    This is the serial number of your radio....
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT