Thread: New MFI Repair & Calibration Book Available

New MFI Repair & Calibration Book Available

Friends:

We just received our first copies of the new Michael Burgess book Porsche 911 Mechanical Fuel Pump, 1969-1973, A DIY Step-By-Step Guide and thought many of you would like to know about it.

Name:  911MFIBook.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  89.7 KB

The 160-page book shows you how to rebuild and recalibrate a PED 6 KL mechanical fuel injection pump at home. It thoroughly describes all steps in overhauling and testing pumps for the 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.7-liter engines in the 911T, 911E, and 911S. The entire process is covered, including how to build and use your own simple test rig, and pump calibration data is included. The secret to the book is that it's very well illustrated, with over 300 clear, detailed photographs of every step. I'd say it's essential for most early 911 owners and restorers. The book is spiral-bound, 8x12 inches, $89.95 plus $4.95 US shipping; Visa/MC accepted. See our secure website, www.toadhallbook.com, or call me at 303/237-0911.

Frank Barrett
    Toad Hall Motorbooks
    4000 Wonderland Hill
    Boulder, CO 80304
    fdb912@gmail.com
    Last edited by Frank Barrett; 09-19-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Just for the heck of it.

Anyone know who Michael Burgess is? Qualifications? I know Mark Jung, Pacific fuel injection, Fairchild, and Hans in New York. There are probably others, but you don't see them mentioned much?
    Mike

The gent posted here a little while back mentioning the manual he was writing. It appears he's a UK based home mechanic with experience in building the rigs and tuning the pumps using the rigs. It does sound quite interesting however I will wait around to see if anybody can post of review on it before I plunked down my money.
    Here's the thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=calibrate

Yep, Michael is a newish member here. A very honest and clever guy. I have got to know him very well over the last few months. The book is very good. And i think a couple of MFI experts from the US have commented on the quality of the publication.

Dave

I'll let you know, ordered mine last night.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed:

Shipped it yesterday!

My book from Frank arrived today and I've quickly gone thru it cover to cover. In a word it is very good. It is 159 pages of literally step by step total disassembly down to a bare casting and then reassembly. It's well organized and each step is pictured. There are also instructions for making some basic tools and even detailed plans on how he made his own flow test bench. Now not everyone is going to go that far, and Gus Pfeisters job is not in jeopardy ! But you can feel confident in doing some minor repairs such as seal replacement, or at least know what will happen when you start taking screws out!! You will certainly have a better feel for how it all works!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed says it all, but would like to add a few comments:

Bought this book a month ago, not because I plan to rebuild the pump myself, but to get a greater understanding of how the system works. I´m very pleased with it and I´m confident several people here are skilled enough to rebuild their own pumps. If I get my hands on a core, I might try one day in the future, it would be the ultimate DIY-challenge

Here is a preview link: http://www.911mfi.com/3.html

It is also worth mentioning that this is the first book in a series. The following will cover:

Repairing the throttle bodies
    Repairing the induction stacks
    Cleaning the injectors
    Throttle correlation
    Home tuning the system
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Exciting! Note, that MFI pump was also used by Porsche on street cars up until 1976 when the last of the 1974-1976 Carrera MFI 2.7 cars were built (see http://blog.eurocarrera.com/), plus the group B 1984 911 SCRS (954) rally car.
    1974 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1975 Turbo 3.0 | 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI Sondermodell | 2012 Cayenne S
    GONE >> 1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1977 Turbo 3.0 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 | 2004 GT3

Still remember how crisp the throttle response was on my old '70 911E. Way better--smoother, faster--than any carbureted car I've ever driven.

Frank